Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Breaking the Concrete Ceiling
Employers looking to fill a position can have a hard time when they have a preconceived idea of their perfect candidate. But sometimes they can find a great fit even if a candidate doesn’t match this initial image.
The National Association of Women in Construction is trying to make this latter scenario a more common reality for women looking to enter the male-dominated construction industry. The organization hosts camps for young girls in Baltimore and beyond where they learn about skilled trade work and even get hands-on experience with construction equipment.
So the next time you see a job opportunity that you think you’re not an ideal fit for, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and show that you can perform, despite others’ expectations.
Technical.ly wants your feedback: Take our community survey to help us better meet your local tech info needs. As thanks, we’re picking a handful of survey takers to win a $50 gift card or a signed copy of Guy Raz’s book, “How I Built This.”
And hey, while we’re on the promote-our-own-stuff train: Curious what’s new in Western Pennsylvania’s tech scene? Subscribe to Technical.ly’s Pittsburgh daily newsletter.
Find out what Maryland-based restaurant discovery and rewards app maker Flave has planned after raising new funding.
Flex working company The Mark is opening three coworking locations in Northwest DC. Check out the first one.
Mindgrub and CLLCTIVLY recently partnered to host the first Baltimore Rapid Ideation Skillshare Event in an effort to highlight Black entrepreneurship.
Engine is launching a petition calling for tech organizations to encourage policymakers to defend DACA, emphasizing that the federal immigration policy is critical for innovation.
- MotoRefi is seeking to hire a Senior Full Stack Engineer.
- Does public affairs work intrigue you? Join Quorum as a VP of Engineering to lead a team of engineers building software for public affairs professionals.
- Open Gov Hub is on the lookout for an Operations and Facility Manager.
- Impact Hub Baltimore need a Business Programs Coordinator.
- Interested in developing custom software? SmartLogic is looking to bring on a Developer Apprentice.
- cloudtamer.io is hiring a Director of Engineering.
- Axios is searching for a Software Engineer.
- Appian is hiring a Senior Information Developer.
- Amazon is bringing on a Software Development Engineer.
- Tempest is looking for a Senior Web Developer.
- QuotaPath is seeking a Solutions Consultant.
- Is flexibility with your schedule important to you? Join Toptal as a Remote React Native Developer.
- Global media and tech giant Comcast is bringing on a Full Stack Developer.
Don’t let a false perception tear you down. See you next week!
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time.