Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
If you’re feeling lonely from COVID-19, you can now dial-up some furry friends to be delivered to your door.
My Pet Alpaca, based in Vienna, will bring over Pisco and Chewy for a cool $60 per hour. The pair reportedly likes dips in the pool and munching on clover and yellow dandelions. And if Pisco looks grumpy — and Chewy scared — don’t fret, it’s simply their resting fur-face.
They may need to brush up on that before any Zoom interviews. We can’t think of a better way to decompress from a day of job hunting.
Ahead of Technical.ly’s first all-digital Super Meetup last week, our team contacted some two dozen meetup organizers to learn how they’d been navigating our all-virtual present. Their perspectives helped make last week’s event a big success — so we thought we’d share that expert insight with you. Here are the best pieces of advice we got from 13 tech meetup organizers, including how a lack of geographic boundaries can be a big net benefit.
More than 460 companies from across the DMV were featured in this year’s Inc. 5000. This list spotlights the country’s fastest-growing private companies. Over 100 more companies from the D.C. region made the cut this year compared to last year, led by Hunt A Killer in Maryland, Radius Networks in D.C. and Urgent.ly in Virginia.
For you social entrepreneurs: The Pitch for Purpose startup competition from Digital Empower is looking for ventures using technology to address social and environmental challenges in the world today. You can win $15,000 for your startup, plus mentorship and pitch coaching. Applications are due Aug. 21.
If you think you’ve been bouncing off the walls during the forced isolation of COVID-19, wait until you talk to your single friends (and if you yourself are single, our condolences). Technical.ly Philly reporter Paige Gross joined a recent episode of Technical.ly On the Record to talk about her recent trend piece about virtual pandemic dating. Suffice to say, it’s getting weird out there, and not just in the ways you’d think.
The ‘buch on tap is back, baby. If cracking open a nice cool kombucha or cold brew at home isn’t cutting it, coworking spaces across the DMV are cautiously reopening — with all the free espresso you’d come to love. Technical.ly Baltimore reporter Stephen Babcock took a look at how Charm City’s coworking spaces are reopening their doors. Often it starts with BYOM: Bring Your Own Mug.
- Nava is hiring a Devops Engineer.
- For those who love teaching, The Flatiron School — where many of you may well have earned your tech stripes — is seeking a Lead Instructor, Software Engineering.
- Join the front lines of the fight for justice: Equal Justice Works is looking for a Marketing Manager.
- The Groundwork Collaborative, which is working to advance an economic vision delivering meaningful opportunity and prosperity for everyone — pretty cool — is looking for a Digital Manager.
- The global strategy agency Huge is hiring a Project Manager. Here’s hoping they pay in those oversize checks.
- 14 West in Baltimore is hiring a Data Analyst for a role supporting the in-house business intelligence team at Money Map Press.
- Help keep the citizens of Charm City safe: The Baltimore City Office of Information & Technology is seeking an Information Security Operations Lead.
- For you Google stans, cloudtamer.io in Fulton is looking for a Google Cloud Platform Software Engineer.
- Speaking of stans, Stansberry Research in Baltimore is hiring a Junior Web Developer.
- Stand Together, helping supercharge “social entrepreneurs,” is seeking a Senior Manager for Data Analytics in Arlington.
- CollabraLink Technologies, Inc., in Arlington is looking for a Cyber Security Analyst.
- Applied Research Associates in Alexandria is hiring a Junior Software Developer.
- JBS Custom Software Solutions is seeking a Remote Senior Developer.
- The B2B startup Tribe Technologies is looking for a Remote Full-Stack Developer.
If your home’s a bit cramped for alpacas, Chewy and Pisco are available for meetups at the park. You’ll be able to pick them out from the crowd by their mohawks; all the better to stay cool this summer. (We leave your hair choices up to you.)
Good luck out there on the job hunt!
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.