Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Or, Alternatively, the Miami Sharks
Just about anything was preferable to the wildly offensive (and now, finally, excised) name of the Washington (D.C.) football team. Even “Washington Football Team” is an enormous improvement.
But with the team — and the NFL — back in action this week, it was hard not to feel, as one reporter put it, that “this looks like a video game that couldn’t get the trademark usage.”
It’s presumably temporary — although the team’s owner told the Wall Street Journal this week that the name may stick. “If the Washington Football Team name catches on and our fans embrace it then we would be happy to have it as our permanent name. I think we have developed a very classy retro look and feel,” Dan Snyder said.
We get it — building a brand is tough, whether you’re a sports franchise or a jobseeker. Still, we’d advise giving it a bit more thought and not sending out your resume under the name “Washington Software Developer.”
At least a dozen companies have signed up for Technical.ly’s Developers Conference on Sept. 23, part of Philly Tech Week 2020 presented by Comcast — and they’re hiring. Check out the virtual exhibitor booths and connect with Ascensus, Azavea, Cerner, Comcast, Entercom, Linode, Lutron, Pinnacle 21, Promptworks, TD Bank, URBN and Vanguard. The list is updated daily, and the Developers Conference is just one part of a week chock full of great tech events.
Cultivating company culture, finally figuring out that elusive work-life balance, creating a truly inclusive workplace — executives and insiders from the world’s top tech companies are joining Introduced by Technical.ly on Sept. 25 to host a range of virtual sessions and workshops on how to build a better business. More than a dozen events are on the schedule, featuring executives from Comcast, SAP, Nividous, Cognizant, Relay, Ernst & Young and more — and keynote speaker Guy Raz of NPR.
This one’s for Maryland entrepreneurs: The weekly meetup series 1 Million Cups, where two entrepreneurs share their experiences and challenges each week and get feedback from the group, is launching in Westminster. “It’s not a pitch, it’s not a networking event,” said Graham Dodge, executive director of MAGIC, a nonprofit working to spur tech and entrepreneurship growth in Westminster. “It’s more about, how can the community come together to support these small businesses and startups.”
- Nava is hiring a DevOps Engineer.
- Insperity — is that a noun? — is seeking a Front-End Developer.
- Pop into pop media: Endgame360 is looking for a Full-Stack Developer.
- StraitSys is hiring a Full-Stack Developer.
- The Baltimore City Office of Information & Technology is seeking a System Integration Developer.
- Fastspot in Baltimore is looking for a PHP Back-End Web Developer.
- Sapphire Software Solutions is hiring a Python Developer.
- ClearOne Advantage is seeking a Software Developer who can program in C# and ASP.NET.
- Definitive Logic — truly the best kind of logic — is hiring a Junior Application Developer in Arlington.
- Binary Fountain (we assume that means either it’s on or it’s off?) is seeking a Senior Software Engineer in McLean.
- DivvyCloud in Arlington is looking for a Software Engineer II with expertise in Python, cloud technologies, automation, distributed systems and “efficient, beautifully designed code.”
- Praetorian Cybersecurity is seeking a Remote Senior Software Engineer who enjoys working with microservices architecture, containerization, and either Java or C#. Finally, a boss asking what you like to do.
- Boyle Software is looking for a Remote Senior Java Developer.
That’s it for this week’s edition of “The TWIJ DMV Jobs Newsletter.”
See you next week and good luck out there on the job hunt!
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.