Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
Well, if you had “mysterious monolith captures local and international attention” on your 2020 Bingo sheet, you can go ahead and cross that off.
These strange, and possibly alien, structures have been spotted in Utah, Romania and now, Pittsburgh.
However, you’d be mistaken if you thought otherworldly entities were headed to the Strip District. Within hours of a monolith appearing on Penn Ave., the owner of local Grandpa Joe’s Candy Shop fessed up to building and erecting the now-viral ‘lith in the ‘burgh to help drum up business.
But hey, who among us hasn’t hoped that a clever pun in a cover letter or well-designed CV would turn heads? Here’s hoping you can bring this kind of creativity into your job search.
Believe it or not, banking nowadays requires more than checkbooks and pneumatic tubes. In Pittsburgh’s tech landscape, PNC is becoming a hub for innovators and technologists. And look at that, you can apply to open roles right on Technical.ly.
The latest episode of Technical.ly’s investor education podcast Off the Sidelines looks at philanthropy and venture capital, what the two fields can learn from each other and how to make systems of investment work for the greater good.
Big news on the AV front — Uber is selling its self-driving unit to Aurora Innovation. If you want to go along for the ride, check out Aurora’s 20+ Pittsburgh openings.
A quarter to 30% of all online orders are returned, and PorchShip wants to make the process seamless. Learn about this Pittsburgh startup picking up online shopping returns straight from your porch to the post office.
The Local Jobs
- PNC Financial Services is hiring a Security Architect.
- The Center for Technology Transfer and Enterprise Creation at Carnegie Mellon University is searching for a Senior Manager, Business Development and Licensing.
- Help deliver a better mobile experience for Dollar Bank customers as a Digital Product Manager.
- Astrobotic is seeking an Embedded Software Engineer.
- Global provider for freight and transit rail services Webtec is looking for a Senior Director to guide IT Business Operations.
- ThoughtForm wants a Graphic Designer.
- Help make researching schools and neighborhoods easier with Niche as its newest Software Engineer in Test.
- Rivers Agile is on the lookout for a Software Engineer with experience in mobile development.
- Want to help create digital experiences for a diverse set of clients? Wall-to-Wall Studios is hiring a Senior Web Developer.
- 3M is searching for a Senior Software Engineer with a specialty in natural language understanding.
- Shape the future of online language education with Duolingo as its newest Product Designer.
- CGI is seeking a Java Full Stack Developer.
- Help innovate the customer experience. Sheetz is looking for a Software Developer.
- Amazon is on the lookout for a Sr. Cloud Infrastructure Architect.
The Remote Jobs
- Athenian is seeking a Senior Frontend Software Engineer.
- Develop new solutions with the latest software technology as General Dynamics UK’s newest R&D Software Developer.
- Better Holdco needs a Senior Software Engineer to help innovate the home-owning process.
Find a way to stand out in the job search like a stunning monolith on the streets of Pittsburgh. See you next week for TWIJ.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.