Nine finalists have been chosen in the third annual ICE Awards in the categories of innovation, corporate excellence and entrepreneurship.
The awards, put on by the Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO), recognizes businesses and people from TEDCO‘s portfolio of more than 300 early-stage companies.
From the press release: the award finalists, broken down by category.
Innovation (companies chosen for technologies that address a particular need and acquired follow-on funding):
- Clear Guide Medical: Specializing in medical imagine and device technology, Clear Guide’s approach reduces the footprint, simplifies the workflow and reduces the cost of ultrasound-guided interventions
- FlexEl LLC: Creator of BatteryCloth, which is completely flexible and bendable material that comes in thicknesses ranging from 200 microns to 1 millimeter
- Remedium Technologies, Inc.: Medical device start-up that created a proprietary life-saving technology, Hemogrip that acts to stop traumatic bleeding rapidly
Corporate Excellence (chosen based on growth in the areas of employees, revenue and investments):
- Creatv MicroTech, Inc.: Specializing in microfabrication and biodetection, Creatv MicroTech developed CellSieve, which leads to the rapid isolation of circulating tumor cells
- SemaConnect, Inc.: Produces and supports charging stations for fleets, municipalities, parking lot operators and homeowners with electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles
- TRX Systems, Inc.: Develops location and tracking technologies in areas where GPS is unreliable or unavailable
Entrepreneurship (chosen for distinct leadership skills, start-up success, personal recognition, vision creation and ability to build a management team):
- Jason Lu, president and CEO, CertusNet Inc.: Provides solutions and products for several industries, including triple play platform, smart power grid and new-energy automobiles
- Greg Merrill, CEO, Brain Sentry LLC: Innovative helmet-mounted sensor helps identify athletes who should be assessed for a possible concussion
- Robert Rashford, owner, Genesis Engineering Solutions: Engineering and operations services and advanced laser technology for government and commercial customers