The City of Philadelphia on Tuesday announced that the first case of COVID-19 had reached one Philadelphia resident, and that it was encouraging people to stay away from large crowds and events for the time being.
COVID-19 in Philadelphia update: press conference https://t.co/1aDEY8gI7N
— Philadelphia Public Health (@PHLPublicHealth) March 12, 2020
In response, event, conference and meetup organizers around the city (and country, and world) have been postponing or canceling their events to practice “social distancing,” the idea that we can better contain the virus if we avoid social gatherings.
This list is not exhaustive, and we will be updating with more information and events as we learn about them.
- Our tenth annual Philly Tech Week, presented by Comcast, will be postponed. Read more about our decision making here.
- Women in Tech Summit originally scheduled for this spring will now be held in the fall. WITS MidAtlantic will now be held Sept. 17 and 18, WITS Northeast will now be held Nov. 12 and 13, and the Girls in Tech Summit will be held Nov. 14.
- Philly Esports’ Gamers for Giving 2020 fundraiser scheduled for March 28 has been postponed until the fall.
- Angel Venture Fair Conference, slated for April 30, will instead take place Sept. 11.
- Women in Tech Debate Night slated for March 11 will now take place May 20.
- NextFab is postponing the public opening of its new location at 1800 N. American St., scheduled for March 18.
- The Be Your Own Boss Bowl has been moved back one week to April 23.
- TechGirlz’s TechShopz will be canceled through the rest of the month.
- Urban Geek Drinks meetup has decided not to hold a March event.
- Philly JS Dev Meetup has canceled its March meetup, and is considering going virtual for future events.
- ProductTank Philly March Meetup has been canceled.
- Philly Startup Leaders’ 1 Million Cups event is canceled this month.
- Chariot Solutions’ developers conference, Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise, scheduled for April 14 and 15, will be held online.
- Collective Strength’s March leadership meetup scheduled for Wednesday, March 18, is going virtual.
- Venture Cafe events at the University City Science Center have gone digital for the foreseeable future.
- Startup Grind with Christina Rosso scheduled for March 18 will now be virtual.
- The Lunch Club is taking its March 20 meeting digital and opening up its community to anyone.
- Turning Conflict Into Collaboration Using Content Strategy, a talk originally planned for this year’s South by Southwest conference, will be held digitally on March 26.
- CMS Philly will be held online this year, on Friday, May 1.
This list will be updated as new information becomes available. To send in info about your event, email email@example.com.