Tech award season rolled on in Maryland on Thursday night at the American Visionary Art Museum. The Maryland Incubator Company of the Year Awards recognized startups in a host of categories like life sciences, health technology and technology services.
Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development Secretary Mike Gill offered the keynote address, detailing a few specifics of how Gov. Larry Hogan’s administration wants to make the state more business-friendly. That will include a new name for the department, and will likely mean a new title for Gill.
Hogan signed a bill to rename DBED the “Department of Economic Competitiveness and Commerce,” creating an appointed “Secretary of Commerce” position.
Gill said the philosophy behind the name changes is a renewed effort to take a customer service approach. Gill said his focus should be, “What can we do to help you be successful?”
The awards, which were sponsored by TEDCO, Saul Ewing and others, were doled out in eight categories. From Baltimore City, ETC-based SocialToaster (fresh off a $1.9 million funding round) and new Power Plant arrivals Avhana Health picked up awards. Johns Hopkins-affiliated Gemstone Biotherapeutics also won in the life sciences category.
Here’s the full list of winners, and their respective incubators:
- Best Consumer Goods Company: Milestone Sports (Maryland Center for Entrepreneurship)
- Best Environment/Energy Company: Redox Power Systems (MTECH Technology Advancement Program)
- Best Graduate Company: Social Solutions Global (ETC)
- Best Health Technology Company: Vheda Health (Maryland Center for Entrepreneurship)
- Best Life Sciences Company: Gemstone Biotherapeutics (Johns Hopkins FastForward)
- Best New Incubator Company: Avhana Health (BioHealth Innovation)
- Best Technology Company: SocialToaster (ETC)
- Best Technology Services Company: BlueNovo (Silver Spring Innovation Center)