- Exclusive: States to probe Comcast plan to buy Time Warner Cable [Reuters] “Florida and other U.S. states will join the Justice Department in seeking to determine if Comcast’s plan to merge with Time Warner Cable is legal under U.S. antitrust law, Florida officials told Reuters.”
- Comcast’s ‘Internet Essentials’ reaching just 9 percent of target audience [Newsworks] “Some residents and tech experts, though, say Comcast makes it too difficult for poor people to subscribe. […] For instance, [Emaleigh Doley] points out, current Comcast customers aren’t eligible for Internet Essentials. A low-income family has to cancel service for 90 days to get the reduced rate.”
- Sen. Al Franken: Comcast buying Time Warner Cable could threaten ‘open nature’ of internet [The Verge] “Senator Al Franken made his feelings on Comcast’s buyout of Time Warner Cable known almost as soon as the deal was announced. Last month, he expressed “serious reservations” about the proposed acquisition. Today he’s gone a step further and sent a letter to the Department of Justice that implores federal regulators to carefully weigh net neutrality and the internet’s “balance of power” as they scrutinize the purchase.”
- Comcast: Net neutrality is good business [The Hill] “Roberts said his company will work with the Federal Communications Commission as it attempts to rewrite its net neutrality rules, which kept Internet providers from blocking or slowing access to certain websites and was struck down by a federal court earlier this year.”
- Why a Comcast merger could be good for TWC customers [CNET]
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.
Looking for a resilient career? Check out these 13 local orgs
These Philly designers are using generative AI to make cute maps for tourists and explorers
How I Got Here: Det Ansinn's career as a CTO and founder taught him to prioritize the people behind the tech
'It's up to us to put the footwork in': Quan Fields (aka Quany the Clown) on making it as a circus performer