Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
Yes, Pittsburgh’s relatively few cases of COVID-19 made it the only large metro area that Gov. Tom Wolf gave the go-ahead to commence some business reopenings. It’s far from The Before Times, but hopefully the channels of commerce will be able to restart with responsible measures.
As the governor tweeted, “Yellow means caution,” so make sure you’re covering your brake pedal, because with partially recovered freedom comes partially recovered responsibility.
If you missed our Introduced|Virtual conference last Thursday, you’re in luck! All the sessions were recorded and preserved forever, and you can find them collected in this YouTube playlist here. Check out the sessions and hear from local luminaries like Sandeep Konam from Abridge AI, Luke Skurman from Niche and Sean Luther from InnovatePGH, and stay tuned for details on future digital events.
This has been an especially difficult time for the 50,000+ residents of Allegheny County who are over the age of 75 and living by themselves. To help combat the major issues of isolation and loneliness, the Jewish Healthcare Foundation has ramped up its Virtual Senior Academy, with live classes on everything from health to music to history and more. Young volunteers can sign up as “tech buddies” to help seniors get connected, so if you’re interested, reach out and get zayde on Zoom.
A little respite from the pandemic: A Carnegie Mellon University research team has released a shoulder-mounted device that mimics physical boundaries in virtual reality. Virtual high-fives would no longer be people just saying “high-five” with their hand in the air anymore.
- Startup LumiShield is looking for a Business Development Lead who knows how to get all over coating manufacturers.
- Work with some of the world’s top talent on the newest AI research and development at Carnegie Mellon University’s Software Engineering Institute as an Associate Software Engineer.
- Facebook Reality Labs is poking around for a Research Scientist versed in AI speech synthesis.
- Duolingo has multiple design-side openings, including Product Designer.
- FHLBank Pittsburgh needs a Diversity and Inclusion Data Analyst to help with federal data reports and its Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Committee.
- The National Student Clearinghouse is looking for a full stack Software Engineer to work on its new and existing applications.
- Tech and communication strategy come together in this Specialist Technology Strategist – Communications position open at BNY Mellon.
- CGI needs a seasoned Full Stack Java Developer; bonus points if you’re familiar with Jenkins.
- Recruiter eNGINE is hunting for a Sr. Software QA Analyst, whose work will be providing insights to the academic community.
- Calling all designers: Ciber Global wants a UX Designer to make pretty, user-centered stuff in exchange for money and other benefits.
- PNC Bank is calling for a Mobile Software Developer Lead with a strong architecture background.
Install a bidet in your toilet, and never will you ever go without it again? These jobs are remote:
- PEMDAS is in need of a Back-End Software Developer to help keep its operations in order.
- International startup Wikifactory wants to add a Senior Backend Developer interested in collaborative hardware development to its team.
- Mobile experts: VoiceThread is in the market for a Senior Mobile Developer versed in both iOS and Android.
Exiting Unread Phase, and now entering Read Phase. Next week TWIJ will be back with a whole new set of jobs, as always.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.