Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Some form of the alarm clock has existed since the 4th century BC, but it wasn’t until the 1950s that the dreaded snooze button began to appear on bedside alarm clocks.
The snooze feature was set to nine minutes due to a technical issue. With the small gears of the early alarm clocks, it was easier to program something in the single digits, so even today, you only get nine restful minutes to sleep before being startled by a loud alarm.
Ironically, when General Electric-Telechron released the first clock with a snooze button, the company hailed it as “the world’s most humane alarm clock.”
Anyone who hits the snooze button multiple times in the morning knows the repeated wakeups are anything but humane and can lead to early morning stress and fatigue later in the day.
Still, most of us can’t help but use this feature daily. While you may snooze on your morning routine, you won’t want to sleep on these opportunities.
Mimetic, a partnership between RustBuilt and KRNLS, will help bring technology to agriculture in the region.
Election day is drawing near. Republican candidate Tony Moreno elaborated on his platform via survey, and Ed Gainey sat down to talk about inclusion, workplace development, and STEM education in public schools.
Government incubator program PGH Lab opened applications for its seventh cohort. The incubator, run by the City of Pittsburgh, gives entrepreneurs a leg up and the opportunity to test services with city government.
Leadership Pittsburgh welcomes 48 new members into its Leadership Development Initiative.
- PNC Financial Services is hiring for various roles, including Security Testing Specialist, Senior Software Developer (JAVA), and Security Lead.
- Cloud-based Enterprise Resource Planning provider Bizowie is seeking a Sale Support Specialist.
- Allegheny League of Municipalities is looking for a Data Project Specialist.
- Help redirect food from the landfill to those experiencing food insecurity. 412 Food Rescue is searching for a Head of Marketing and Communications.
- Urban Redevelopment Authority wants a Lending Analyst to join its team.
- Artificial intelligence and virtual reality simulation platform Mursion is hiring a Product Manager, Client Operations.
- eNGINE is hiring a Site Reliability Engineer.
- Drive your way into a driverless future. Argo AI is looking for an Autonomous Vehicle Service Technician.
- Aurora is seeking a Software Engineer, ML Accelerators.
- Grow into a new career at Four Growers. The robotics and agriculture startup is seeking an Electrical Engineer.
- Datto wants a Staff DevOps Database Engineer.
- New grad opportunity! Duolingo is hiring a Software Engineer.
- Form Energy is searching for a Full Stack Software Engineer.
- Blast off with an opportunity at Astrobotic. The space travel startup is on the lookout for a Graphics and Simulation Engineer.
The Remote Jobs
- Framework is hiring a Senior Frontend Developer.
- Help teams grow with QuotaPath. The sales tech growth platform is seeking a Solutions Consultant.
- Inspire is looking for a Data Engineer.
Try not to snooze, and we’ll see you here again next week.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time.