Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Forget the trophy office: The new flex for the super-rich is now, apparently, “trophy trees.”
So-called “tree brokers” have apparently built lucrative businesses helping the wealthy find — and nurture — that perfect baobab or kapok. Broker Walter Acree, in South Florida, reportedly quoted one potential customer $250,000 to relocate a tree.
Maybe Fern Gully should’ve looked into a SPAC.
A year of pandemic, protests, elections and insurrection has meant work and society-shaking events have run headlong into each other. Stephanie Baggage, senior manager for people development at the digital services agency Fearless in Baltimore, shared three ways to build a company culture that’s responsive to social justice, core values and supporting employees amid societal upheaval.
Missing homework may sound like a blessing, but it’s a source of education gaps. The mobile connectivity and software firm Kajeet, based in McLean, is now finding growth by helping people connect to internet access where it’s needed most — namely, by partnering with schools, nonprofits and public libraries to ensure kids can access the learning resources they need to thrive.
- CareFirst is hiring an Applications Security Engineer, particularly applicants with studies or work-experience in IT.
- Level up with The Brand Guild, which is seeking a Creative Services Manager.
- Great Minds, which develops instructional materials for pre-K to grade 12, is looking for a Software Engineer.
- The Washington Post is hiring a Back-End Software Engineer.
- See if you’re the right match for Q2: The lab-services firm in Columbia is seeking Software Development Analyst applicants for future openings.
- This one comes with a $5,000 signing bonus: Jacobs in Hanover is looking for a Senior Cloud Software Developer.
- Apparently the fish are tweeting: The National Aquarium in Baltimore is hiring a Social Media Specialist.
- Beacon Street Services in Baltimore is seeking a Software Engineer for its cloud services platform.
- Oracle in Arlington is looking for a Software Developer — Communications to design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools and networks.
- This could be your lucky opportunity: Slot-machine developer Castle Hill Gaming in Charlottesville is hiring a Junior Software Engineer.
- Bechtel Corporation in Reston is seeking a Graphic Designer to help add punch to PowerPoint decks.
- Close, “building the sales communication platform of the future,” is hiring a Remote Senior Front-End Engineer.
- If Elrond needed a programmer: Elfen Software is seeking a Remote SQL Server Developer.
- The automotive aftermarket parts firm CARDONE Industries is looking for an Ecommerce Web Designer.
That’s it for this week. Good luck out there on the job hunt!
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.