The awards, now in their eighth year, honor tech companies and individuals raising the bar in the national tech industry (you can check out last year’s winners here). Companies compete in six categories: Best Tech Startup, Work Culture, Manager, Workplace for Diversity and Tech for Good. Of note, only one company was a repeat this year from last year’s selectees: MPower Financing.
The community votes for the regional winners, who then advance to the national competition against individuals and companies from Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Southern California and Toronto. A panel of judges from Google, Etsy, The New York Times’ dev team and other employers will select the national winners at a ceremony on Nov. 10.
Here are the winners in the DC region:
- Best Tech Manager: Doug Golub, president, MediSked.
- Best Tech for Good: Deque Systems, a digital accessibility company in Herndon, Virginia.
- Best Tech Startup: Upside, a retail tech company in DC.
- Best Tech Work Culture: Research Innovations, an Alexandria, Virginia company that creates tech for critical defense, intelligence and cybersecurity.
- Best Tech Workplace for Diversity: MPOWER Financing, a DC-based edtech financing company.