The first cycle of Dreamit Ventures’ spring 2016 class just graduated. What do they walk away with?
In March, we reported that around a third of the 25 startups in this cohort would stay in Philly during the 16-week program. This class was also the first to take advantage of a mixed local/remote model announced in September 2015.
On Wednesday, the accelerator announced the cycle had wrapped up with a bicoastal road show that linked up founders with 100 investors in New York City, Boston and the Bay Area.
The companies pitched their products and services at 18 “immersion” sessions hosted by orgs like Penn Medicine, Independence Blue Cross, Merck, Pfizer, Blackboard and Penn State.
“In less than 4 months we’ve seen companies sign on new customers, announce new funding rounds, and dramatically increase the number of opportunities in their pipelines, all without having to relocate or put their operations on pause,” Dreamit CEO Avi Savar said in a statement. “They came in prepared to leverage the access we offered them and the results have been outstanding.”
Here’s the list of startups from Dreamit’s 2016 spring class (language supplied by Dreamit), which had tracks in health and edtech:
- Addicaid: Helps payers & providers tackle chronic addiction, reduce the cost of care & manage population health with data-driven addiction treatment
- Admetsys: Automated, high-precision diabetic control systems for hospital and surgical care
- Cellepathy: Distracted Driving MDM that uses artificial intelligence & mobile sensors to prevent crashes & lawsuits with patented technology to differentiate passengers from drivers
- CircleLink Health: Applying SaaS to $15B market for chronic care management between office visits, unlocked by a new Medicare reimbursement
- DNAsimple: An online platform that allows genetic researchers to find the samples they need and donors to contribute to scientific studies independent of location
- Keriton: IoT solution to automate Pumped Breast Milk management for Neonatal ICUs (NICUs) to improve nurse productivity
- Kermit: Returning the balance of power to hospitals in physician preference items for cost reduction and improved patient outcomes
- MedAware: Utilizing physician practice patterns to identify and alert on and reduce medication errors in real time
- MedStack: A cloud developer platform to drive the creation of patient-centric, integrated and compliant healthcare apps at a third of the typical cost and cycle time
- Neofluidics: Simplified microfluidic tools for drug discovery & research, point of care testing, & industrial fluid analysis reducing reagent use by 90%+ while increasing quality and decreasing time
- Prevnos: Reducing the cost and complexity of cancer diagnostics through a new hybrid Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) test
- Somatix: Enables real-time identification and measurement of smoking, drinking, eating, and other hand-to-mouth gestures, using the sensors on smartwatches and wristbands
- Suggestic: Delivering personalized, actionable and relevant nutritional suggestions by combining evidence-based health guidelines, crowd wisdom, and machine intelligence
- Wellth: Allows health insurance companies and hospital systems to pay costly chronic disease patients to take better care of their conditions by applying behavioral economics’ loss aversion techniques
- InquisitHealth: Peer-to-peer mentoring solution used by payers and providers to improve health outcomes for patients with diabetes, pre-diabetes, asthma, HIV, and CKD
- 101: An interactive, mobile-first platform that develops STEM problem solving skills
- CampusESP: Helps colleges leverage parent and family involvement to improve student success
- Lessoncast: Transforms how teachers improve what they do in the classroom, enabling schools to see & improve how they spend $8B/yr on teacher development
- PeopleGrove (formerly CampusKudos): SaaS platform for schools and companies to develop private professional communities to support their young people and position them to succeed
- Prompt: Making people better writers through personalized feedback
- Ruvna: Enables schools to locate and account for their students in realtime during an emergency
- Study Abroad Apartments: Marketplace that helps thousands of students, interns, and young professionals from around the world get apartments abroad
- StudyTree: Technology to transform education with a streamlined collaboration system using AI to facilitate inperson study groups and peer tutoring
- Tassl: Engagement metrics for powering networks and building relationships
- University Beyond: Recruitment and management platform for collegiate brand influencers