Every Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. EST, find all the stories you need to know about your friendly telecommunications giant in the Comcast Roundup. Get an e-mail subscription for our Comcast news updates.
- Internet issues bog down Comcast-NBC merger [LA Times]
- Comcast Tests Combo Internet-Cable Device [Wall Street Journal] — “Comcast Corp. is testing a new service that knits together television and the Internet, as the U.S. cable giant goes after rivals that threaten to undermine its business.
- Rockefeller Pans Comcast-NBCU Deal [Tech Daily Does: National Journal] — “Senate Commerce Chairman Jay Rockefeller – the most powerful voice in Congress on telecom policy — told the FCC he’s worried that the $30 billion transaction could have a detrimental impact on consumers and competition.”
- Comcast getting good deal on NBC Universal, research firm Bernstein says [Philadelphia Business Journal]
Below, why Comcast should chase the Olympics, is the end of NBC regulatory approval nearing and more.
MIGHT BE OF INTEREST
- Voros: Comcast bullies rivals even during federal probe [San Jose Mercury]
- Comcast Must Court Olympics, Part of NBC’s Legacy [TV Blog: Media Post]
- Upton urges FCC to finish Comcast-NBC merger review [Post Tech: Washington Post] — “Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich), the incoming chairman of the House energy and commerce committee urged the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission to wrap up the agency’s review of Comcast’s proposed merger with NBC Universal and resist imposing conditions that don’t apply directly to the deal.”
- Comcast Answers Today’s Traffic Question [Comcast blog]
- Net neutrality expected to pass, investment analyst says [Post Tech: Washington Post] — Comcast has been actively involved in the conversation.
- End near? Comcast, NBC meet with FCC, Justice on proposed Internet video conditions [Post Tech: Washington Post] — “Comcast and NBC Universal executives met earlier this week with senior staff from both the Federal Communications Commission and Justice Department on proposed conditions on Internet video distribution”
- Comcast tests new way to navigate TV shows [Company Town: LA Times] H/T Philly Tech News
- Genachowski: Dec. 21 Net Neutrality Vote “Essential” [Broadcasting and Cable] — “FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said Tuesday that it is “essential that we move forward next week to adopt the first enforceable rules of the road to protect Internet freedom.” That came at the Generation Mobile forum on texting and kids.”
- What’s Inside Comcast’s Parker Box? [Light Reading]
- Universal Not in Talks to Sell Focus Features [Hollywood Reporter] — “While the Gores brothers have made an informal proposal to buy Focus, due to the pending merger of the NBC Universal assets with Comcast, any deal is unlikely in the midst of regulatory reviews. “
- Writers on E! and other Comcast cable networks vote for guild representation [Company Town: LA Times]
- Xfinity Mobile App Version 3.0 Now Available [Comcast blog]
- Comcast, NBCU, and Asian American Leaders Join to Expand Media Diversity and Community Engagement [Comcast blog]
- Comcast Tests Pricing For 105-Mbps Tier [Multichannel News]
- Comcast: Restructuring likely will not result in any lost jobs [Times Herald, Montgomery County, Pa.] — “Though its Oaks location will likely remain functional in other capacities, Comcast Corp. is shifting operations away from the cable division headquarters there in efforts to pare its four operating divisions down to three.” H/T PTN
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.