Every Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. EST, find all the stories you need to know about your friendly telecommunications giant in the Comcast Roundup. Get an e-mail subscri ption for our Comcast news updates.
- Comcast outlines plan to turn around NBCU [Inquirer] — NBCUniversal is investing $200 million more into developing hit NBC prime-time shows in 2011 than it did in 2010 to pull the broadcast network out of the ratings cellar”
- Net Incomes Rise Solidly for CBS and Comcast [NY Times]
- Comcast investors advised to calm down [Philadelphia Business Journal] — “…all the attention paid to NBC Universal ‘will obscure a very strong quarterly result for [Comcast’s] cable business,’ which provided $9.1 billion of the company’s $12.13 billion in revenue in the quarter and grew 5.8 percent, beating consensus estimates of 5.1 percent, from $8.58 billion in the first quarter of last year.”
- Consumers give FCC an earful on AT&T bid to buy T-Mobile [Post Tech: Washington Post] — “A look at the docket for the $39 billion proposed union shows few lawmakers weighing in on the merger. In contrast, Comcast’s deal to merge with NBC Universal drew early support and opposition from dozens of lawmakers and state regulators.”
- NBC launching local news channels in 3 states; watchdog criticizes efforts so far [Company Town: LA Times] — In California, Texas and Florida “Comcast committed to producing an additional 1,000 hours of local news on its NBC stations and another 1,000 hours for its Telemundo stations. The channels will launch this week.”
- Comcast adding some ABC, Fox shows to on-demand lineup [Philadelphia Business Journal]
- Just Another Day At Comcast [Comcast blog] — Near Seattle, two Comcast technicians apprehended an escaped criminal.
- Couric Bows Out as CBS’s Anchor [Wall Street Journal] — Katie Couric could be going to Comcast for an NBC show
- On eve of his departing, Comcast’s Brodsky looks back at the many wins [Inquirer] — Julian Brodsky, one of two fellow Comcast founders with Ralph Roberts is retiring from the Comcast board at 77 H/T PTN
- Comcast Announces Changes to State Government Affairs Team [Tech Daily Dose: National Journal] — “Comcast announced some personnel changes Thursday, including snagging a former Federal Communications Commission member to help lead its government affairs shop in California.” Including FCC member Rachelle Chong and a promotion for Bret Perkins
- The Comcast blog celebrates the 10th anniversary of Comcast Cares Day by talking to CEO Brian Roberts about having some 62,000 Comcast employees volunteer across the country on one day.
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.