Every Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. EST, find all the stories you need to know about your friendly telecommunications giant in the Comcast Roundup. Get an email subscription for our weekly Comcast roundup or other news updates.
- NBC Sports may move its Phila., N.Y. operations to Conn. [Inquirer] — “Consolidating the Comcast Corp. regional sports headquarters and the Versus cable operations could cost Philadelphia more than 100 jobs, according to estimates.” More from the Connecticut Mirror.
- Unable to Shake Slide in Ratings [Wall Street Journal] — Ratings are continuing to lag this fall, putting Comcast in a greater hole
- Comcast No Longer Choking File Sharers’ Connections, Study Says [Wired: Threat Level] — “Comcast appears to be in compliance with a Federal Communications Commission decision demanding the ISP stop throttling BitTorrent traffic, according to a new study.”
- Inside Comcast’s massive IP VOD network [Gigaom] — onDemand is growing
- Daniel B. Burke, Leading Media Executive, Dies at 82 [New York Times] — Who led the Capital Cities acquisition of ABC in the 1980s and was father of Steve Burke, NBCU chief under Comcast
- Comcast/NBCU Deal Lawyers: Online Video Competition Was Key Concern [Broadcasting and Cable] — “Lawyers involved on all sides of the Comcast/NBCU merger approval agree that access to online video was a key to the conditions imposed by the FCC on the deal, and in the settlement Justice struck with Comcast to ameliorate the departments competition concerns.”
- Comcast, Verizon Ordered To ID Subscribers to Pornographers [Annapolis Patch] — “A federal judge in Greenbelt has ordered the two Internet service providers to identify customers—known only by their numeric “Internet Protocol” addresses—who have been sued for allegedly unlawfully downloading pornographic movies.”
- Comcast (CMCSA) Gains 1.2% Ahead of Time Warner (TWC) Earnings [Market Intelligence Center]
- Comcast Launches HD, Full-Screen Versions Of TV Guide Network In Freedom Region [Multichannel News] — Includes Philadelphia
- Leibowitz Says Comcast Breaking Away From Cable TV Pack [Washington Post] — Video interview seen below
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.