Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
Drive-in movies are back! The City of Pittsburgh is getting in on the act, with bimonthly free movie showings at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium parking lot. Reserve a spot to see “A League of Their Own” June 27 and check out the schedule of screenings the rest of the summer.
Everyone needs to recharge in such uncertain times, but the social movement taking place in the streets around the world shouldn’t be waited out. Still not sure how to “do the work” and make sure your workplace culture is a welcome one? Funny you should ask, because the latest TWIJ Show episode deals with this exact issue, and walks you through some possible steps.
The latest from Technical.ly’s Pittsburgh coverage focuses on how public service-oriented tech outfits are faring and adapting during the pandemic. Read on to learn how Honeycomb Credit, 412 Food Rescue and other local orgs are helping the community in this difficult time.
SpaceX has gotten all the attention lately regarding U.S. exploration of the final frontier, but close by Carnegie Mellon University researchers are helping develop the first robotic moon rover from the U.S. (China and Russia have already done it).
Nonprofit Neighborhood Allies has helped secure 1,000 Pittsburgh families with high-speed internet access through Comcast after it arranged a donation of 1,000 laptops for students to continue their classwork under quarantine. The Pittsburgh Public Schools’ superintendent says he’s still looking to procure another 10,000 devices.
The Local Jobs
- Uncle Sam wants you to become the next Machine Learning Research Scientist at Carnegie Mellon University to help develop AI tech for the feds.
- Ecommerce consultant Visionet is looking to snag a versatile IT Project Manager.
- KbPort is hiring a Web Developer to contribute to its work in medical simulation software.
- Synerfac Technical Staffing has a client Downtown looking for a Technical Support Specialist.
- Stocks cratered last week, but not Zoom! The video-meeting company is looking for a Senior Application Database Engineer to join its new Pittsburgh team.
- CGI needs a Business System Analyst to work in a large custom Java ERP-type system.
- If you have some knowledge of the health care industry, UPMC Enterprises needs a Senior Data Engineer
- Familiar with using Splunk? Well, Splunk is looking for a Senior Security Subject Matter Expert to join its team.
The Remote Jobs
Enjoying your three-month streak of not smelling microwaved fish in the office kitchen? These jobs are remote:
- UK-based Apacio is looking for a Remote Back End Developer.
- Metabolic Living is looking for a jack-of-all trades Remote Senior UX/UI/CRO Designer Developer … Director/Choreographer (jk).
- If you like switching up projects every few months, check out this Remote Mid Senior Full Stack Developer job at ROI Developers.
See you at the movies. Next week TWIJ will be back with a whole new set of jobs, as always.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.