The 2021 class is a little smaller, but Leadership Delaware, Inc. (LDI) is full-steam ahead for its 13th yearlong program.
The professional development org connects its cohorts to notable Delawareans who share their expertise during issues-focused forums on topics ranging from the economy to health care to corporate governance. The goal is for these rising leaders to grow their careers while working to grow Delaware.
The decreased class size, from last year’s 29 to 17, was intentional, so the members can more safely participate in person when possible, complying with CDC regulations by using large meeting areas and masks. When that isn’t possible, they will use Zoom, as the 2020 fellows did for much of this year.
The fellows will participate in sessions two full days per month, hearing from a different speaker approximately every hour — up to 150 speakers across the full program.
“It’s part of the beauty and rigor of LDI, as it is often compared to the equivalent of getting one’s MBA, only more extensive, and then described as life-changing or transformational,” said Greg Munson, Leadership Delaware’s director of development and communications.
Leadership Delaware also has a new CEO for 2020: Jennifer Cohan, who led the Delaware Department of Transportation, started on Nov. 2. Before her start, she joined the candidate interview team to select the class of 2021 in August. She was recently inducted into The Hall of Fame of Delaware Women, and received the New Castle County Chamber of Commerce’s Women’s Leadership Award.
“She has great plans to continue to build on the foundation of LDI, which started in 2008, as well [as] increase the awareness and impact of LDI throughout Delaware,” said Munson.
The class of 2020 represents a variety of sectors, from nonprofits to healthcare, business to law enforcement:
- Stephen Bart, ACFT project leader at Delaware Army National Guard
- Jordan Bonner, project director at Delaware College Scholars
- Jeffrey Chapin, project manager at The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
- Angela Dolan, senior sergeant, New Castle County Police Department
- Markevis Gideon, cofounder of NERDit NOW
- Sierra Harris, project manager at Teen Warehouse
- Mark Mazak, business development manager at Edmentum
- Jamie McNatt of Chesapeake Companies
- Drew Moore, senior system engineer at WSFS Bank; Delaware Air National Guard
- Rebecca Nazario vice president of operations at ChristianaCare
- Alexandra Parkowski, Wilmington division director at Aloysius Butler & Clark
- Danika Perry, Psy.D. pediatric psychologist at Nemours
- Justin Rodriguez, sales manager at CSC
- Taymi Santiago, absence management partner at Nemours
- Nancy Shen, CPA, senior business analyst at Exelon
- Alison Travers, Ed.D., leadership associate at UD Delaware Academy for School Leadership
- Stephanie Wilhelm, Esq., associate at Stevens & Lee; DE Army National Guard