The fifth annual Baltimore Innovation Week (organized by Technical.ly) officially kicks off this Friday, and we’re here to assuage your FOMO. Get this: Baltimore is actually pretty close.
There’s a lot of cool tech happening in Baltimore, stuff worth knowing about your arguably cooler sister city to the north. Things like Station North’s brand new makerspace, how Under Armour is trying to reinvent manufacturing and some pretty sweet augmented reality tattoos.
And also let’s be honest — as much as leaving the beltway can sometimes feel like a struggle, Baltimore’s not that far away. Jump on a MARC train and voila! you’re there.
So grab a notebook and some business cards and head to Union Station. Do it for your own edification. Do it to land some fresh clients. Do it for the sea breeze.
Here are four #BIW16 events worth making the trip:
1. Office hours with Paul Singh
- On Monday, Sept. 26, #dctech’s own Paul Singh will be pulling into Baltimore for office hours. As you may recall, he’s been on the road for a while on his Results Junkies Tech Tour. This event is an opportunity to pitch Singh, ask questions and catch up on how life has been out in Real America. Our sister site, Technical.ly Baltimore, reports that Singh will be around for other events during the week as well.
2. BIW Media Conference
- Tuesday’s Media Conference will take on everything from #brands to social strategy and the future of media. The half-day conference certainly sounds like a valuable experience for many of us media types — snag tickets here.
3. Beta City
- On Thursday afternoon and evening Betamore and Sagamore Ventures will come together to organize Beta City, an event to celebrate innovators, makers and leaders in the city. Want to get a sense of what’s what in Baltimore tech? This event is a great way to do that.
4. Baltimore Innovation Awards
- Last but not least, Friday, Sept. 30 will culminate with the fourth annual Baltimore Innovation Awards ceremony. This year the ceremony is being held in Innovation Village — an innovation district in the city looking to kickstart startup growth in West Baltimore. Go check it all out.
Of course, there’s so much more. Check out the BIW website for the full schedule of events. There’s over 50 of ’em.
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.