Civic News
Municipal government

Building permits become latest city service to move online

Baltimore's ePermits system was developed in-house, said Mayor Catherine Pugh.

Baltimore City Hall. (Photo via Wikimedia Commons)

Mayor Catherine Pugh provided more details Wednesday on the city’s building permitting system, which was recently moved online.
The city rolled out an electronic system that allowed contractors and homeowners to make requests for 10 percent of the building permits issued in 2012. Now they have a way to apply for the other 90 percent without having to go down to Fayette Street.
At a press conference in the city’s housing department, Pugh said the ePermits system allows people to apply for building permits online from any device. The permits are then sent via email. They can also apply at any time of day.
Pugh said the simple permits that do not require review can be processed in about 30 minutes.
The system was developed in house and launched internally. Pugh said that was likely a $2 million cost savings when compared to bringing in an outside vendor.
“I’m proud of the work our team has done to create an innovative system that significantly improves the customer experience,” said acting housing commissioner Michael Braverman.

Companies: City of Baltimore

Knowledge is power!

Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.


How to respond when a long-tenured employee quits? With grace

The opportunity cost of fear: Underfunding Black founders hurts the US economy

Tax incentives, return to office, a new tech hub: 4 takeaways from a roundtable with Baltimore’s Sheila Dixon

Equity at the Pratt goes beyond datasets and into the community

Technically Media