Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
The shift to at-home work has been a boon for some snack purveyors. Michele’s Granola in Baltimore is churning out some 35,000 pounds of granola per week — and, with surging demand, now reportedly planning to nearly double production with a new facility in Baltimore.
Perhaps coincidence: Sales of Birkenstocks also soared in 2020. Look out hipsters, it seems hippies are on the rise.
On to the jobs!
How has Charm City’s startup scene changed in just the past decade? UpSurge Baltimore looked at the numbers behind the city’s startup ecosystem — and found these five takeaways.
For developers, it can be nearly irresistible to make a custom solution for everything. But how can you avoid getting swept away by the workload that comes with it. As part of the Technical.ly Developers Conference at Philly Tech Week 2021 presented by Comcast, CTO of D.C.-based Prefect Chris White talked about how to avoid these orchestration pitfalls.
D.C.-based FiscalNote is reportedly considering going public. The software and media firm is apparently considering an initial public offering or SPAC merger, and recently raised $40 million from investors including Clearvision Ventures, Maso Capital Partners and CBC Group. That funding is on top of a $160 million funding round in December led by Arrowroot Capital and Runway Growth Capital. FiscalNote is said to be valued at $1.4 billion.
- The 202 Group, providing a “unique Analytics-as-a-Service solution” for management consultants and analytics software vendors, is hiring a Principal Data Scientist.
- Keep the stratus out of the cirrus: Nava is seeking a Senior Director, Cloud Operations.
- Morning Consult is looking for a Design Director — Data Visualization.
- The clean-energy platform Arcadia is hiring a Director of Engineer, Developer Platform.
- SmartLogic is seeking an Engineering Manager. First-time managers are encouraged to apply.
- Flywheel Digital in Baltimore is looking for a Product Owner.
- The State of Maryland is hiring an IT Systems Technical Specialist.
- Pluribus Digital is seeking a Front-End Developer (React).
- Higher Logic in Arlington, building “community engagement solutions,” is looking for a Junior Application Engineer.
- ID.me is hiring a Data Analyst.
- Crossbeam, an escrow service for data, is seeking a Customer Success Specialist.
- Avature is hiring a Remote Back-End Software Engineer, DevOps.
If granola isn’t your thing or you need more protein in your diet, reporter Christine Condon at the Baltimore Sun chowed down on cicadas battered in (what else) Old Bay. The result? A “sort of airy fried snack that I might wash down with a beer before dinner.”
Mmm, tasty! Just let us know when they start serving these at Camden Yards or Nats Park.
Good luck out there on the job hunt!