(Photo by James Cullum)
Power Moves is a column where we chart the comings and goings of talent across the region. Got a new hire, new gig or promotion? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.
Hatch adds multiple key hires as the app software development company continues to expand. Peter Loewenhagen joined the Hatch team in November as the director of customer success after previously working at Social Tables as a senior account manager, account manager and director of customer success. Mohammed Al Kurd joined Hatch’s engineering team as a full-stack engineer this month. Kurd comes from Atlas Corps, a overseas fellowship program that connects skilled professionals to companies and he currently is the CEO of a company serving as a community for baked food enthusiasts called Kookies.
— Hatch Apps (@HatchAppsHQ) December 7, 2018
Lanham, Md.-based education tech company 2U named Alexis Maybank, a New York City-based internet entrepreneur, to its board of directors earlier this month.
— 2U (@2Uinc) December 10, 2018
Congrats to our #GirlsWhoCode Chair @giltfounder who joined the Board of Directors of @2Uinc this week! We applaud the work this company is doing to increase diversity within student bodies and within its own employees and Board of Directors. 👏https://t.co/pH1MOZnRQT #nobackrow pic.twitter.com/bHKpZhTRdH
— Girls Who Code (@GirlsWhoCode) December 11, 2018
Many took to Twitter to share the excitement, including Girls Who Code where Maybank also chairs the board. She cofounded Gilt, and online fashion boutique, in 2007 and served as the company’s first CEO. Maybank is 2U’s 12th director on the board that’s now half comprised of women and people of color.
Washington, D.C.-based consulting firm Waxman Strategies, announced the addition of senior and executive professionals as the firm expands its capabilities in the environmental, technology and health sectors. Here’s all of the hires announced in a press release from the company:
- Nick Horowitz has joined as a senior director in the firm’s communications and tech practice. He previously served in communications roles for Panasonic, Huawei and ARM at the Podesta Group and Racepoint Global.
- Matt Jacobson, who has held senior positions at Pew Charitable Trusts, MoveOn.org, and Greenpeace, has joined as a vice president overseeing the firm’s campaigns to break the link between deforestation and agricultural production.
- Abdul Tejan Cole, a Human Rights Watch Award winner and former head of the Anti-Corruption Commission of Sierra Leone, has joined as a senior campaign director where he’ll be focused on amplifying human rights efforts and ending deforestation in Africa.
- Catherine Oakar has joined as a senior advisor, helping to expand the firm’s work in public health and food tech. She previously served as associate director of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! Initiative, senior policy advisor in the Office of National AIDS Policy and spent four years at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Alex Armstrong has joined as a senior director and will be working in the firm’s environment practice. He last served as executive communications leader for Oceana, the world’s largest international ocean conservation.
Arlington,Va.-based DivvyCloud, a developer of technology to automate and manage cloud infrastructure that businesses use to improve security, has named Scott Totman as its head of engineering and product development. Totman previously worked as the head of digital product engineering at Capital One for more than six years.
Rockville, Md.-based health IT solutions firm CNSI has named Todd Stottlemyer as its new CEO. Stottlemyer was responsible for the development of the Inova Center for Personalized Health campus in Virginia and is currently serving as a board member on the Northern Virginia Technology Council after previously serving as the council’s vice chair and chair of the Board of Directors from 2015 to 2017, his Linkedin profile reads.-30-
Universities at Shady Grove hosts grand opening of new STEMM education facility
Founder Dan Berger is leaving Social Tables later this month
Power Moves: New C-suite hires for CUCollaborate, 2U, Inky Technology
Verizon is looking for the brightest ideas on how to use its 5G technology
Meet 12 devs building the best of #dctech: It’s the inaugural RealLIST Engineers
Power Moves: Selina McPherson is now leading marketing efforts at The Brand Guild
Power Moves: Lucas McCanna leaves 1776 to lead marketing at CUCollaborate
Escape the August heat with cool AI tech
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc