(Gif via Giphy.com)
Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Feeling the Squeeze
It’s taken some 14 months, but the surge in takeout sparked by the spread of COVID-19 has caused a shortage in ketchup packets. Prices have soared by 13% since the start of the pandemic, and restaurant owners tell The Wall Street Journal that they’re now “hunting high and low” for the tasty tomato-sugar shots of flavor.
No shortage of goods here, though: Ketchup on the latest below (sorry …).
The coronavirus pandemic was not kind to many entrepreneurs. But one group was disproportionately impacted: Women seeking venture capital for their startups. Through the first three quarters of 2020, companies with at least one woman on the founding team saw year-over-year funding drop by nearly a third. All male teams, by contrast, saw just an 18% dip. Clearly this disparity demands attention, which is why through April 2021 — Funding Women Founders Month — Technical.ly will be doing data dives, startup check-ins, founder and investor profiles, and stories on venture capital trends with gender equity in mind.
Save the date, Part 1! Technical.ly’s annual Developers Conference returns May 11. The free event will feature eight case studies and networking opportunities, plus a jobs fair component for those looking for a new technical role.
Save the date, Part 2! Introduced by Technical.ly is back again this year — virtually. On Thursday, May 13, we invite you to the daylong conference that introduces you to the ideas, people and opportunities that build better companies. Take part in inspiring conversations and panel sessions, network lounges for speakers and audience members to connect, and an expo floor to meet sponsors and community members.
Paul Simon didn’t write “3 ways to fund your startup” but he might have? We’ve got an explainer on the common ways to raise capital. Not including a SPAC, Jack.
- If you’ve got +2 intelligence and charisma, The Brand Guild is hiring a Creative Services Manager.
- CareFirst is seeking a Senior Software Architect.
- WhyHotel (because I don’t want to spend the night in my car?) is looking for a Director of People.
- The City of Bowie is hiring a Network Administrator. First-round screening: whether you pronounce “Bowie” correctly.
- The Space Telescope Science Institute is seeking a Software Team Manager.
- The University of Maryland Medical System is looking for an Application Programmer IV: The Goblet of Fire.
- Redjack is hiring Systems and Cloud Engineer.
- Appian in McLean is seeking an Associate Manager, User Experience.
- H3O Labs in McLean is looking for a Python Developer.
- Rare, the Arlington conservation organization, not Perfect Dark, is hiring an Associate System Administrator.
- Fitty, somehow not G-Unit’s software-development firm, is looking for a Lead Software Developer.
- Billions and billions scripted: McDonald’s Corporation (yes that one) is seeking a Remote Senior Java Developer.
- Crossbeam is hiring a Full-Stack Engineer.
For you agents of chaos out there, suggest mayo instead of ketchup on your next work Zoom and watch the meeting implode. (Risky strategy if you’re interviewing!)
Good luck out there on the job hunt, and stay safe!-30-
Flatiron School’s Women Take Tech initiative is empowering the next generation of diverse tech talent
Power Moves: Former Under Armour creative lead Jed Jecelin joins Planit
This Week in Jobs DMV: Routine Edition
Home COVID-19 test maker Ellume plans 1,500-job manufacturing center in Frederick
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Baltimore