(Technical.ly file image)
Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
In a week where everything else is demanding our attention, we don’t blame you for looking for a small distraction. In fact, some folks have made a career out of being able to seamlessly shift a viewer’s focus without them noticing.
The term “sleight of hand,” comes from Old Norse and was used as early as 1593 to mean deception through swift manual dexterity. The idea of pointing something out to distract from something else is old hat, but science has only recently confirmed that, neurologically, when we focus specifically on something, we can successfully filter out the rest of what’s around us.
So, whether that’s keeping your mind off the news with a job search, or honing in on your close-up magic skills to impress a hiring manager over Zoom (and distract them from looking at your messy home office), take some time for a little misdirection today.
Want to know what’s next for Pittsburgh? Join InnovatePGH virtually on Nov. 19 to hear from Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh, Carlow University and UPMC about the future of Pittsburgh’s Innovation District in the time of COVID-19 and beyond. Register through Eventbrite here.
Northside autonomous vehicle startup Locomation (self)piloted its trucks with the delivery of 40,000 pounds of food from the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank to families in need in Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. If you’d like to get on board with that effort, check out Locomation’s open jobs here.
Entrepreneurs have more to learn from investors than you think. The second episode of Technical.ly’s second season of Off the Sidelines highlights insights from seasoned investors, as well as a few pointers from entrepreneurship expert Guy Raz, host of NPR’s “How I Built This.”
Plans are in motion for a 133-year old locomotive roundhouse in Hazelwood Green to become a new OneValley Innovation Center, with a $12 million renovation.
Join Generocity on Nov. 12 for its second annual ADVANCE conference. Dedicated to driving ideas forward with a smarter impact, the half-day virtual conference features panels on subjects ranging from policy to philanthropy and venture capital. Register for free through Eventbrite.
The Local Jobs
- Abridge is seeking a Lead DevOps Engineer.
- Ready to reimagine the science of sleep? LifeX Labs’ portfolio company NOCTEM is looking for a Full Stack Developer.
- Bizowie wants a Software Developer with a focus on DevOps.
- Game on! Schell Games is searching for a Senior Engineering Team Lead with expertise in game programming.
- RobotWits wants an Autonomous Driving Planning Engineer.
- Enjoy object-oriented language? IQ Inc. is on the lookout for a Software Engineer with expertise in C++.
- Direct the future of autonomous vehicles through visual storytelling. Argo AI is hiring a Video Producer.
- OpenArc needs a senior .NET Developer to join its team.
- Make a positive impact on the world of robotics with RE2. The Lawrenceville-based startup is hiring a variety of roles including CNC Machinist, Control Systems Engineer and Lab Technician.
- Machine learning specialist: Facebook wants a Research Scientist, with a background in machine learning.
- eNGINE is hiring a System Engineer with experience in Linux.
- With a focus on the growing industry of automated industrial vehicles, Seegrid hopes to find a Lead Software Engineer.
- Aurora is seeking an IT Generalist.
- CMU spinout Titan Robotics is looking for a Software Engineer.
- Build everything from websites to robots and rollercoasters with Deeplocal as a Senior Software Engineer.
- Leaders in next-generation cybersecurity Proofpoint are trying to hire a Senior Software Engineer.
The Remote Jobs
- Bonfire is burning up the world of ecommerce custom apparel and needs a Director of Engineering.
- Industry disruptors Pie Insurance want a Senior Backend Software Engineer.
- Improve your short game and bring AI to the world of golf as an iOS Developer for Sparrow.
Now you see it, now you don’t. Join us next week for another TWIJ.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Globetrotter Vibes
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: History Making
How will COVID-19 change tech hiring in Pittsburgh?
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Sweating in sweaters
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Pittsburgh