Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge” — here at Technical.ly HQ). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published on the site; it’s meant to live in your inbox.
“Oh, and remember, next Friday is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and uh, wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.”
— Bill Lumbergh, Office Space
There’s a lot of news going on out there right now, guys. The content is a’flowin’.
And there are moments during this 24/7 new cycle when we’re reminded that — and we’re just spitballing here — perhaps we don’t need to know everything that’s going on in the world?
From the obsessive reaction to “Birdbox” (Have you seen it? Haha, lil’ “Birdbox” joke.) to Ariana Grande’s boyfriends’ reactions to her surprise smash, “Thank You, Next,” to the passing of Lady Gaga’s beloved horse Arabella (RIP), how do we make sense of all of this glorious, useless news?
And what if, at some point, the internal hard drives in our brains become too full? What information will remain by default and what might disappear with that really satisfying crinkle noise of the trash icon? Will we remember all the state capitals, or instead that sticky celeb gossip that’s so hard to forget, like how Jeff Bezos’ is the most expensive divorce in history (so far)?
No matter where you land on this incredibly important subject, be sure to spend some time brewing up some news of your own with a new career opportunity. Plenty of options await you below!
In the headlines
B2B software company Piano just raised $22 million big ones in a Series B round of funding. With plans to grow its Philly office from 31 to 55, and an upcoming summer relocation to a 10,000-square-foot office in Old City, the gettin’ is good for job seekers who want to work with media big timers like Condé Nast, Time, Inc., and CNBC. Keep your eyes peeled for ongoing openings here.
Motor-lovin’ ecommerce retailer Turn 5, Inc. just transformed an old Save-A-Lot Supermarket into its brand-new 15,000 customer service hub in Pottstown. Adding to its already impressive real estate collection, the new location will serve as an extension to its main hub in Paoli. News like this should always get your motor running for one reason: more jobs.
In very meta news over in Baltimore, Barcoding, Inc. just created software to track the very devices that it creates to track inventory in warehouses. Wait, let’s do a slow-mo replay of that: Barcoding, Inc makes devices that keep track of inventory in warehouses and retail stores. Now it’s creating software to keep track of the devices that keep track of the inventory. You’d really have to be a tech person to figure it out. Oh wait, you are. Start tracking for jobs here!
On the job scene
Philly devs are in demand:
- Weblinc — a punk-supporting software company known for its proprietary software — WorkArea — is looking for a Senior Software Developer.
- Dive into the Client Experience Lab at Vanguard and take on the role as Senior Full Stack Developer. In the lab, you’re given autonomy to fulfill client needs and drive business outcomes.
- Motorcycle-centric ecommerce retailer RevZilla is hiring a Cloud Operations Engineer to provide a cloud experience as thrilling as a ride on the ol’ hog.
- Chariot Solutions is seeking elite Senior Java Developers to build horse-drawn carriages. Wait. Wrong chariot solutions company, sorry. Seeks passionate technologists with a full-stack skill set. There we go! Giddy up.
- goPuff is hiring a Cloud Native Developer to continually improve the Azure functions and Node.js/express-based systems.
Baltimore buds, start writing those cover letters:
- 14 West seeks a Front-End Web Developer with “fat-tail” ideas for Agora Financial, the publisher of economic and alternative health ideas.
- High-end tech and analytics firm Asymmetrik is looking for a Full-Stack Developer who understands what acronyms like MEAN, ELK and LAMP stand for.
- Beacon Street Services is hiring a Software Engineer in Test.
Delaware crew, a couple hot picks for you:
- Chatham Financial is looking for one great User Experience Designer to join its product design team. P.S. No suits/ties, cubicle farms or layers of creativity-killing bureaucracy — in case you were worried.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. seeks a BI Developer with 7+ years experience to serve nearly 66 million consumers. Not by yourself, though. Imagine! Gahh!
D.C., here’s lookin’ at you, kid:
- Nava is looking for an Infrastructure Engineer to join its small team in radically improving the government.
- Tourism-based integrated marketing agency, Tempest, is hiring a Data Migration Lead. Preferably one who loves to travel, go figure!
“Brand or be branded. Your LinkedIn profile is your online business card. It’s the first thing someone will find when researching who you are. This is your chance to build your personal brand. When you have a completed profile you build authenticity and credibility.”
— Brian U., Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant at Vanguard
Upcoming IRL job search opportunities
Technical.ly’s curated tech jobs fair NET/WORK is coming up soon! We build a no-pressure environment where employers and attendees can interact and get to know one another. Pant suits, ties, are optional and conversations that dig deep are encouraged:
- NET/WORK Philly goes down Feb. 26 at The Fillmore Philadelphia. To RSVP, click here.
- NET/WORK Baltimore is happening March 14 at Thumel Business Center of the University of Baltimore. To RSVP, click here.
- NET/WORK Delaware will take place March 20 at CSC. To RSVP, click here.
- NET/WORK DC will happen on March 27 at Alley powered by Verizon. To RSVP, click here.
Keep searching for that special gig, friends. And always keep some Pepto on hand in case you indulge in too many servings from that overflowing buffet of news content.
Thanks for joining us this week, folks!
Happy job hunting!-30-
This Week in Jobs: Like Disney World for tech lovers
This Week in Jobs: Get pumped for a new J.O.B. while bingeing on GoT
This Week in Jobs: You’d be a ‘fool’ to miss out on these new tech jobs
Why Deacom’s team prioritizes collaboration and continuous improvement
This Week in Jobs: Recognition for women in tech, jobs for all
This Week in Jobs: The Blockbuster of career newsletters
All of your employees are brand ambassadors. Yup, even the unhappy ones
Engineers have Vistar Media’s Philly office all to themselves
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia