(Screenshot via YouTube)
On Thursday, after a lavish introduction from Interim Dean Spiros Mancoridis, the cofounder and CEO of RevZilla delivered the commencement speech before the school’s Class of 2016 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
“Congratulations on choosing technology as your path,” Bucci said. “You’re now starting with the ‘nerdvantage,’ and your opportunities are now limitless.”
In essence, what “nerdvantage” means — according to Bucci — is being digitally literate professionals who are capable of building their own tools, creating solutions and finding new opportunities “as markets evolve faster than anyone can keep up.”
The ecommerce cofounder dared grads to complement their digital eloquence with five non-digital skills he dubbed “nerdvantage maximizers.” He says these skills are his key takeaways from growing his company to a 200-employee operation at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.
Here’s Bucci’s list of “nerdvantage maximizers”
- Don’t settle for the in-between, find your next challenge now.
- Discover your weaknesses, and use that clarity to your advantage.
- If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room. Find the right rooms full of the right people to make you better every step of the way.
- Give yourself a chance to be lucky.
- Move fast enough to be scared.
Watch Bucci’s speech below. It’s all cued up: