(Photo by Pexels user ELEVATE, used under a Creative Commons license)
The Halloween Loop, Wilmington’s long-running costumed pub crawl, has turned into costume ball at The Queen for its 40th birthday this year.
Which seems fitting. What 40-year-old wants to ride a cold, dark school bus full of drunk people to stand in 45 minute lines for Yuengling Lagers?
The Halloween Loop Costume Ball is on Oct. 26 and features classic Delaware bands Montana Wildaxe, The Caulfields, The Numbers and THE SNAP — and this year, it’s raising money for the Light Up The Queen Foundation, which provides music education to low-income schools in Wilmington.
Just because the pub crawl is gone, it doesn’t mean you can’t hit your favorite spots around Halloween, though. If you’re a cerevisaphile (an aficionado of beers and ales), you can celebrate the season while tasting local craft beers at these events:
- Monsters & Malts Movie Fest at Penn Cinema on the Riverfront — Penn Cinema is once again teaming up with local brewers for special screenings of classic monster movies paired with craft beer samples to raise money for local charities. This year Fest will be on Oct. 18 and 19, with screenings of “Young Frankenstein,” “Friday the 13th,” “Monster Squad” (all ages with root beer for the kids), “Gremlins” and “Evil Dead,” with brews by 2SP Bewing Company and Midnight Oil Brewing Company. More info.
- Boo ‘n Brew at Trolley Tap House — Once the heart of the Halloween Loop, Trolley Square in Wilmington is keeping it laid back this year with a family-friendly pumpkin carving event on Oct. 20 that includes either a fall seasonal beer or a kid’s meal, plus additional specials on seasonal pumpkin brews. More info.
- Stitch’s Spooktacular Beer Dinner — Stitch House Brewery in Wilmington is offering a spooky cocktail hour followed by a five-course, Halloween-themed dinner with Stitch House brew pairing. Seats are limited. More info here.
- Blue Earl Brewing’s 5th Annual Hoppy Halloween Party — The Smyrna brewery will be releasing a special Hoppy Halloween beer on Oct. 26 to go along with a costume contest and live music from Tyler Green & Friends and Hoochi Coochi.
- Argilla Brewing Company’s Halloween with Lower Case Blues — Located at Pietro’s Pizza on Kirkwood Highway in Newark, the Oct. 26 event starts at 8 p.m.
- Bellefonte Halloween Candy and Beer Pairing — Bellefonte Brewing Company in Wilmington will offer these special Halloween tastings on Oct. 27. More info here.
- Midnight Oil Brewing Company — Horrifying Hours, from 5 to 11 p.m. on Halloween night will offer a dollar discount to patrons wearing costumes on pints, including Sleepover Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout, which releases that day.
Delabear beer gets canned
Beer and chocolate tasting to showcase Delaware’s contribution to the industries
Dec. 1 is the first #SmallBrewerySunday: Here’s how to do it in Delaware
It’s Halloween: Here’s your Delaware social media roundup
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Delaware