Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
“A Primal Urge”
“If you put a human in a room with some kind of substance and flour and water, eventually that human will exit with a dumpling, a ravioli, a samosa, an empanada, or a pierogi.”
So says Ed Hardy, chef and co-owner of Zofia’s Kitchen, serving pierogies in Arlington. “Any culture that’s trying to claim that it’s theirs can’t really do that because it was bound to happen anyway. It was inevitable. Humans love dough-covered items. It’s a primal urge.”
Washington City Paper has its roundup of the best anything-stuffed dough snacks in the DMV. The perfect fuel for cranking out those cover letters.
NoMa’s edtech company Full Measure Education just completed a $10 million raise led by Fulcrum Equity Partners, the company announced Friday. The funding will primarily be used for hiring, expanding its HQ and growing its product, which uses software to help students navigate college from their phones using social media, messaging and other forms of communication.
University of Maryland, College Park will be home to Maryland’s first Veterans Business Outreach Center. The center, one of 22 opening across the country, aims to be a one-stop shop for transitioning or active-duty service members and veterans, offering resources such as biz workshops, mentorship and government contracts guidance.
The cofounders of UrbanStems in D.C. are branching out into … migraines. They’ve built the Allay Lamp, a green light lamp designed to help people with chronic migraines, apparently based on research by Harvard neurologist and company cofounder Rami Burstein.
- UrbanStems is hiring a Front-End Engineer, Ecommerce.
- Aquicore, providing building-operations software, is seeking a Senior Data Product Manager.
- The Washington Post is looking for an Engineering Lead. (And, yes, “lead” not “lede.”)
- Flywheel Digital in Baltimore is hiring a Full-Stack Developer.
- Beacon Street Services in Baltimore is seeking a Solutions Analyst.
- 2U in Lanham is looking for a Curriculum Engineer — Data.
- Cybrary — also, as it happens, what 1999 America thought we’d be calling libraries in the future — Product Marketing Manager.
- Brightspot in Reston is hiring a Cloud Engineer.
- Interos in Arlington is seeking a Front-End Engineer.
- The Airlines Reporting Corporation in Arlington is looking for a Web Developer.
- Crossbeam is hiring a Solution Engineer.
- Linode is seeking a Full-Stack Software Engineer.
- Ario is looking for a Remote Senior Android Developer.
While we’re on the topic of food, Baltimore stars in Netflix’s “Fresh, Fried, and Crispy.” Charm City influence Tim “Chyno” Chin joins series host Daymon Patterson for visits to Between 2 Buns, The Local Oyster, and more.
Good luck out there on the job hunt, and eat well!