Local tech companies are having open houses and sharing talks on important innovation-related topics, courtesy of NewCo, which describes itself as “a mashup of an open studio tour and a business conference, with the vibe of a music festival.”
The events take place inside the offices of companies and organizations with a vision for change. NewCo is hosting these festivals in 12 cities (including Amsterdam and Istanbul) between now and November.
The Brooklyn locations are all piled up on top of each other on the morning of May 13. Here are the places you could check out here, with some additional context from our coverage.
- Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. sessions
- Travel site Atlas Obscura, on exploring the world. The media company just closed a recent seed round.
- Mapping tool CartoDB, on putting information on maps. We recently covered the company’s satellite imagery partnership.
- Factory network Makers Row, on domestic manufacturing. Tanya Menendez also spoke at our conversation about space for tech.
- Video distributors VHX, on videomakers on the internet. VHX should have gotten to carry The Interview.
- Waste reducer City Harvest, on preventing food waste.
- Wednesday, 11:30 a.m. sessions
- Hardware makers BioLite, on how open-fire stoves can change lives. Those stoves have had many iterations.
- Creative agency HUSH, on polymath thinking. We wrote about its NYT-inspired installation.
- Media accelerator MiNY Media Center, on projects underway in the space. See some projects from one of its demo days.
- Strategy consultants Red Antler, on branding. The firm has a focus on early-stage firms.
See all the NewCo events across NYC on May 13-14.
Attending one session per day is free. Going to as many as you want costs $50 for a Silver Pass. If you want get into either the Gimlet Media or Atavist sessions, you’ll have to buy that plus a “Diamond Override” pass for each of those sold-out events (so $100 for one, or $150 for both).
Media may not make much money, but it still has all the fans.
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.