The New York technology community may have the University of Pennsylvania Greek system to thank for some of its most successful startups.
Turns out Penn’s fraternities don’t produce the stereotypical frat brother. At least 17 tech companies, mostly startups, in New York are either founded or led by Penn alumni, many of them former brothers in Penn’s various fraternities, according to ongoing coverage by Business Insider.
We have the companies from Business Insider’s list below, but it’s worth seeing the names, positions and frats they say they call home. So see their list here.
- Vente Privee USA
- IA Ventures
- TechStars NYC
- Local Response
- Coursekit, their departure from Penn was covered here
- Lerer Ventures
- Spark Capital
- CEO of BrandShare (who also founded the Webby Awards and Internet Week)
- NutShellMail founder (who is also GM of Social Media, Constant Contact)
- Mindspark Interactive (IAC)
- Founder of Goodsie.com and Flavors.me
- New York Groupon
- Invite Media, though Google-owned developer offices are still in Center City
- Aol leadership
Unfortunately, no Penn women, sorority sisters or not, were included on this list. That will be something to keep an eye out for in the future.
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.