Adam Nelson, northeast experience director for veteran entrepreneurship nonprofit Bunker Labs, says there’s a common trait among people who start their business after serving in the military.
“[They] have the ability to keep pushing forward no matter what hardships come down the pike,” said Nelson, an Iraq war veteran and himself an entrepreneur. “In the military, missions have to be completed no matter what. That same mentality is applied in the business world. You want to be successful no matter what so you can support your family.”
That attitude drives much of the programming for the upcoming WeWork Veterans in Residence program, powered by Bunker Labs, which kicks off next week. The four-month sprint will connect 10 Philly-area founders — all veterans or veteran spouses — to mentorship and programming around branding, scaling operations, raising capital and marketing.
(Here’s a look at the inaugural class of companies, which kicked things off last year.)
There’s no universal outcome to the program, Nelson said: Each company sets its own goals and works towards them.
“At a high level we want them to grow,” the veteran said. “We want them to solve the problems they have and make strides toward building a client base that they’re proud of.”
Here’s the list of participating companies:
- Concihairge — Provides contemporary, salon-quality hairstyling services in the convenience of clients’ homes or other on-site locations
- CS Silhouette — Providers of beauty, skincare and non-invasive weight loss solutions
- Delaware Regional Training Group — A security company developing real-time scenarios with role players to teach military and law enforcement members
- EGA Associates — Healthcare consulting and clinical staffing firm
- EZDispensing: — Assists medical practices in setting up and operating in-office dispensing programs
- Phillyanthropy — A for-profit providing nonprofits “insights, knowledge and motivation” necessary for their day-to-day operations
- Populouz — Organizational development consultancy focused on human capital and capacity
- RTB Limited — Consulting, training and coaching firm, focusing on “People, Process and Profits”
- ShuttleBee — Solving transportation issues for kids, providing drivers with “technology, insurance and logistics support needed to excel at their job”
- Trend Lab — A digital marketing agency specifically geared toward social media advertising for local businesses