This Saturday, South by Southwest attendees will get a chance to see how Philly rolls: the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau is flying a plane over the the conference encouraging people to “Discover Philadelphia. Discoverphl.com/SXSW” (That page will lead to the PHLCVB’s Innovation/Education page, said spokeswoman Danielle Cohn.)
#NotatSXSW annual Technically Philly party
- RSVP here
- Hosted by Drink Philly at their Old City HQ
- Tues. March 12 @ 6:30-8:30pm
- #whyilovephilly partners Indy Hall, Geekadelphia, Young Involved Philly and Flying Kite
Below, check out our roundup of who’s going and speaking at SXSW from Philly (if we missed you, comment and we’ll add you!). If you’re going and want Philly swag, contact Nelly Arnold at nelly AT discoverPHL.com by 5PM TODAY and you can pick the stuff up on Wednesday at PHLCVB’s office at 1700 Market St, Suite 3000. You can also get swag from Arnold at SXSW itself. Email her at to arrange a meetup.
- Nelly Arnold, Interactive Manager at the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Curalate, the entire visual web analytics team, including CEO Apu Gupta
- David Dylan Thomas, co-producer of the documentary series on Philly’s tech scene Developing Philly
- Story Bellows, co-director of the Mayor’s Office of New Urban Mechanics who’s speaking on at a panel called “Can Crowdfunding Save Local Government Budgets?” (Read more about Philly government’s forays into civic crowdfunding here.)
- ElectNext, who’s pitching at a TechCocktail event
- Rebecca Sherman, Studio Director at Bluecadet, and Troy LaChance, Principal at Bluecadet
- Jeff Puthoff, executive director of Camden nonprofit Hopeworks
- Catrina Sharp, marketing manager of search engine eZanga
- Andres Nieves
- DreamIt Ventures, whose inaugural Austin class (that includes two Philly-region companies) will be demoing at SXSW. The accelerator is also doing a panel on cofounders (featuring DreamIt cofounders Mike Levinson and Steve Welch), as well as a cofounder speed dating event. Find a schedule of all DreamIt Ventures’ SXSW events here.
- Jessica Clark, media strategist for Association of Independents in Radio who’s moderating a panel called “Localore Plays Austin“
- Marissa Hu, founder of startup Co-Ed Supply who will be pitching her startup at the MBA Startup Competition
- Cat McManus, part of Penn Graduate School’s Networking Education Entrepreneurs for Social Transformation (NEST), as well as other NEST staff members Bobbi Kurshan and Mustafa Abdul-Jabbar.
- Amol Waishampayan, cofounder of Maiden Media Group
- Lou DuBois, formerly NBC Philadelphia‘s Social Media Editor and now NBC News‘ Social Media Editor
- Alison Guzzio, a Kennett Square PR rep who will be working with Austin-based FastFan, “a reward-based social network for fan-powered discovery of digital entertainment.”
- Erika Owens, Knight-Mozilla OpenNews‘ community manager will be demoing at the Knight/Mozilla/MIT party
- Deb Boyer, project manager at Azavea
- Steph Parker, community manager at Neiman (meet her here)
- Mike Bianchini, chief marketing officer of Municibid
- Kel Smith, principal at Anikto, who will be giving a talk called “Digital Outcasts: The New Bootstrapping“
- Maria Sciarrino, UX Project Lead at Wharton Research Data Services, who will be speaking on a panel called “Stairway to Heaven and Cloud Music“
- Klip Collective, who will be at the GSD+M Industry Party
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.