The 2021 edition of the Inc. 5000 is out Tuesday, spotlighting the fastest-growing businesses around the country.
This year’s list comes amid a continuing global pandemic, taking stock of the companies that report three-year revenue growth. In all, the Baltimore metro area has 62 companies featured. That’s down slightly from the 71 companies the region saw make the list in 2020.
Tops among locals this year is a company in the top 20: Chasen Companies, the real estate firm behind a growing portfolio of residential units and the Federal Hill and Fells Point coworking concept Vision, ranks #18 on the list. The three-year growth number that put it there? A whopping 15,420%.
With that, the company gets a full feature from Inc., in which CEO Brandon Chasen talks about building during a pandemic. Chasen shares that coworking demand fell off for the first few months of the pandemic, but it came roaring back by last summer with waitlists.
“What 2020 showed us is that the size of our projects and our buildings really benefited us during the pandemic,” he told Inc. “With our boutique luxury model, we really fit into this standard of health, safety, and security.”
The list includes plenty of familiar names from the region’s community of software and digital companies. Here are companies we’ve been tracking in recent years that made the list:
- #637 — Columbia-based home services software company Leap reports 756% growth in a year after it expanded the team and sales.
- #1,204 — Cockeysville-based Kermit, an analytics platform that helps hospitals track medical device spend for surgery, reported 402% growth to make its first appearance on the list. (It’s listed as PA & Associates Healthcare.)
- #1,977 — Baltimore city-based healthcare and data analytics Index Analytics made headlines when it partnered with Code in the Schools. The business itself saw 224% growth.
- #2,092 — Downtown Baltimore tech and operations advisory firm Think Systems grew 210% via acquisition and expansion of expertise in areas like cybersecurity.
- #2,455 — Mount Vernon software and cybersecurity services company Nyla Technology Solutions reported 172% growth.
- #2,532 — Linthicum-based Impact Analytics reported 165% growth in the wake of this year’s $11 million raise.
- #2,769 — Columbia-based digital marketing agency WebMechanix had 144% growth.
- #2,793 — Locust Point-based tech agency Mindgrub is on the list for the ninth time, with 143% growth, as it expands both nationally and in Baltimore city.
- #3,543 — We know Sykesville-based technical and creative talent firm Alderson Loop has been hiring, after seeing them at NET/WORK Baltimore over the years. The firm reported 96% growth.
- #3,563 — Towson-based Motifworks found growth in cloud solutions to return to the list with business up 96%.
- #3,901 — Fulton-based veteran-focused mortgage lender NewDay USA reported 80% growth as it kept a priority on culture amid the pandemic.
- #4,946 — Harbor Point-based cloud and cybersecurity Think|Stack is marking 10 years and a recent $5 million investment as it reports 41% growth providing its services to credit unions.