Every Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. EST, find all the stories you need to know about your friendly telecommunications giant in the Comcast Roundup. Get an e-mail subscription for our Comcast news updates.
- Burke to lead NBC Universal after Comcast deal [paidContent] — 52-year-old Comcast COO Stephen Burke will be made NBC Universal CEO after the acquisition is approved. Burke recently made the most expensive rowhome purchase in Philadelphia history.
- Stepping Down, NBC Chief Relishes His Long Tenure [New York Times] — Embattled NBC Universal chief Jeff Zucker announces leaving his post, acknowledging the decision is not entirely his own, but part of a desire by Comcast leadership to have “their own team in place” with the close of the Comcast-NBC acquisition.
- Comcast Spends Big in Pressing for Merger [New York Times] — The piece questions whether the tens of millions of dollars that Comcast is spending on lobbying for regulatory approval of its taking a majority stake in NBC is an expensive form of machine politics or something more democratic.
Below, more details on the NBC executive shuffle, Comcast.net hackers sentenced and more.
MIGHT BE OF INTEREST
- Exclusive: Comcast Reshuffles Its Digital Deck Before NBC Comes Aboard [Media Memo] All Things Digital dives deeper into the moves at NBC, a story revisited by the New York Post with an pretty bad pun for a lede.
- NBC Universal-Comcast prep Olympic bid [Hollywood Reporter]
- Hackers who disrupted Comcast.net site sentenced [Philly Biz Journal] — Two of three hackers who redirected Comcast.net in May 2008 were charged with 18 months in prison and ordered to pay restitution of nearly $90,000.
GIVE A GLANCE
- Zucker: Comcast Integration Top Priority [Multichannel News] — Before getting canned, NBCU head Jeff Zucker talked about integrating its programming into Comcast.
- Comcast Tees Up TV Everywhere Relaunch [Light Reading] Hoping for an October launch. H/T PTN
- Stocks soar Friday: How Phila.-area companies fared [Philadelphia Business Journal] Comcast stock jumped on Friday 3.62 percent to $17.48 a share.
When there is just too much Comcast news to follow, the Comcast Roundup will be there every Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. EST
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.