Every Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. EST, find all the stories you need to know about your friendly telecommunications giant in the Comcast Roundup. Get an e-mail subscri ption for our Comcast news updates.
- Comcast to Offer Customers Skype Video Calls on Their TVs [New York Times] — “In the cable television industry’s latest extension into home communication, Comcast and Skype announced on Monday that some Comcast customers would soon be able to video chat on their TV sets from the comfort of their living rooms. ” VIDEO below
- Comcast Taps Facebook for Enhanced TV Experience [Hollywood Reporter] — “Comcast Corp. is working with Facebook, Intel and other technology firms to create what it calls a next-generation TV experience, which will make the TV screen more interactive by adding Internet features and apps. “
- @ Cable Show: Comcast’s Roberts Shows Off 1Gbps Potential [paidContent] h/t Philly Tech News
Below, video of Comcast/Skype partnership, plans to profit off the Olympics and more.
MIGHT BE WORTH IT
- Comcast Said to Be in Talks Over G4 Cable Channel [New York Times] — “Comcast is in talks to sell a controlling interest in the G4 cable channel to the Ultimate Fighting Championship. ” The price could be as high as $600 million, Bloomberg reports.
- Comcast CEO’s Bet on Profitable Olympics Met With Skepticism [Bloomberg] — GE said it lost $223 million on the Vancouver Games
- Keeping Olympics was priority for NBC [Company Town: Los Angeles Times] h/t PTN
- Comcast home security available in six markets including Philadelphia [Philadelphia Business Journal]– Expansion of service deployed in Houston last year.
- The startup behind Comcast’s home security service: iControl [Gigaom]
- NBCUniversal Executives Huddle for First Retreat Under Comcast [Hollywood Reporter] — “Days after NBCUniversal successfully won U.S. television rights to the Olympics until 2020, top company executives are holed up in Santa Barbara for the first strategy-planning retreat under the new Comcast ownership” Steve Burke among executives there
- NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt Shares His Plan to Rebuild the Network (Exclusive Q&A) [Hollywood Reporter]
- What You Need to Know About Comcast Xcalibur [Zatz Not Funny] — “Comcast Xcalibur, the code-named IP-based service designed to feed consumers their Internet access and video content all through a single fat pipe”
- Bloomberg TV wants Comcast to be more neighborly, files FCC complaint [Philadelphia Business Journal]
GIVE A GLANCE
- Comcast doubly blessed with wireless spectrum [Fierce Cable] — From PTN: “Discussion from yesterday’s RCR Wireless conference in Philadelphia.”
- Comcast at the 2011 National Cable Show [Comcast blog]
- Comcast Donates $50,000 to North Minneapolis Relief Efforts [Comcast blog]
- Comcast Names Johnnie Giles Executive Director for External Affairs [press release]
- Comcast and Skype Partner to Bring HD Video Calling Experience to the Living Room, watch video below
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.