We’ve written before that Philadelphia needs a technology week, when the entire region can more easily connect with our vibrant technology community with a series of daily events. It would be a chance to celebrate what makes this city an amazing place to be a techie.
Allow us to propose that the week of April 25th to 29th be declared Philly Tech Week.
Much like Philly Beer Week, we think it should be a networked collection of events that will help spread awareness about Philadelphia technology community.
We’ll provide a central place for coordination, where organizers and attendees can see the schedule, receive updates, and more. As you may have seen on Twitter, there’s already movement from a few well-known groups in Philadelphia, and we’d like to see more community traction.
So, you want to get involved? Here’s the plan:
- Head on over to PhillyTechWeek.com to sign up to be on the mailing list.
- If you have a meetup group, hold your April meetup during Tech Week. Or, better yet, collaborate with another meetup group and combine efforts.
- If you have a cool office space, have an open house that week.
- If you have a cool product to announce, do it during Tech Week.
- Plan something innovative or unexpected.
Some events which are already scheduled include Technically Philly’s next Switch event and Chariot Solutions’ Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise conference. We’ve got a few more tricks up our sleeves and we’re connecting with more people, organizations and companies about Tech Week each day.
In the meantime, we’ll be hard at work reaching out to folks, updating Phillytechweek.com (with a proper logo, of course) and working with anyone interested in making Philly Tech Week rock.
Consider this a first step. We welcome all thoughts in the comments and encourage you to reach out via email.