Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Sunshine on a Cloudy Day
We’ve got more time than ever to finally teach ourselves trombone, learn Norwegian or have that catch-up we’ve been avoiding — but it’s also OK to take this time to step outside and literally watch the clouds slide by. The Washington Post’s famed Capital Weather Gang published its guide to weather-themed entertainment and experiences to while away the hours — or engage your children.
From online courses to hands-on experiments to cloud-spotting, there’s plenty to make you feel like your home’s very own Al Roker or Sam Champion with the five-day forecast. After all, learning “Smoke on the Water” on the guitar can’t hold a candle to predicting the future.
We’re all social distancing for the foreseeable future — but that doesn’t mean you can’t continue maintaining important connections with your teams and colleagues. Technical.ly hosted a webinar with HR pros on how their growth-stage companies are handling the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Over the hour-long webinar, five expert panelists talked everything from managing talent acquisition operations, to transitioning to remote work, self-care and more.
If you or someone you know is looking for immediate work, Baltimore’s farm-to-doorstep Hungry Harvest is among the delivery companies that have seen a huge surge in business amid the coronavirus crisis — and is rapidly hiring to meet demand. In addition to serving new customers, the company is also working with institutions like the University of Maryland Medical System to supply emergency food boxes to patients and families.
MemoryWell in D.C. is offering its digital timelines product to help loved ones reconnect. The company manages a network of more than 700 journalists who interview seniors and their families to publish stories, along with photos, music and videos, on its mobile-responsive web platform. And hey, if they dig up something awkward in your family history, at least you know it’ll be a few weeks before you may have to face anyone in person.
- Nava, reimagining how the government serves its people, is looking for an experienced Infrastructure Engineer.
- RCG, Inc., is seeking an Information Technology Software Developer to be the back-end developer for a high-level Microsoft Dynamics File Transfer project.
- GovernmentCIO is looking for a Software Developer, specifically an IT expert with experience transforming systems and services with a focus.
- The University of Maryland in College Park is hiring a Software Engineer to help maintain, implement, and integrate on-premises and hosted systems using Java and web-based technologies.
- BD in Baltimore is seeking a Staff Engineer — Software Test Lead to grow and develop the test team within BD’s Microbiology Product Engineering Group.
- Under Armour in Baltimore is looking for a Copywriter. The right fit will be focus on content for mobile, including copy, transactional emails, product collateral, tech stories and regionally led products and product stories.
- Dent Education in Baltimore is hiring a Curriculum & Program Manager to design curriculum, manage and launch student programs, and develop its program pipeline.
- Imperfect Foods in Severn is looking for a Production Manager. The company delivers imperfect — yet tasty — produce, affordable pantry items and quality meat and dairy to customers’ doorsteps.
- Leidos in Fairfax is hiring a UX/UI Designer to support the development and maintenance of U.S. Department of Justice applications and infrastructure.
- ARA in Reston is seeking a Software Engineer to join a team developing simulation technologies to support real-world planning and intelligence operations for the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Silverchair in Charlottesville is looking for an Analytics Developer to help develop a unified logging solution for usage data to feed into the company’s Azure analytic data streams.
- Packet Fabric, revolutionizing how companies procure, deploy, and manage network connectivity with its network-as-a-service platform, is hiring a Remote Software Engineering Lead.
- If having “hardcore” in your job title appeals to you, Rekordio is looking for a Remote Hardcore React Native NodeJs Application Developer.
For those doing Zoom-based yoga classes or taking to the streets for a run, the Metropolitan Police Department is in your corner. An officer this weekend shared an inspirational message for those exercising — while social distancing — on the National Mall. You’ll want the volume up.
See you next week.
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.