Full disclosure: Our cofounder, Christopher Wink, is on the Pen and Pencil Club board, as is our editor-in-chief, Zack Seward, and both our lead reporter, Juliana Reyes, and contributing web editor, Jim Smiley, are nominated for awards. The nominees were determined by members of the Philadelphia media community via online voting.
Center City has the country’s oldest reporters club, the Pen and Pencil, and for the second year it’s hosting the Philadelphia News Awards.
Voting is online and anyone can participate — not just members. This might not always be a thing to share here, but some familiar faces have found their way onto the ballot, and, no, we’re not talking about our own lead reporter Juliana Reyes — whom you should definitely support as Community Reporter of the Year.
Check out the Civic Hacker of the Year category.Vote by Nov. 30
- James Tyack, Unlock Philly
- Rob Kandel, formerly of the Inquirer
- Jim Smiley, Philadelphia Construction Permits by Neighborhood. (Full disclosure: Smiley is our contributing web editor, so, yes, we’re pulling for him.)
- Kathryn Killebrew, Cycle Philly
- Casey Thomas, various, including this NewsWorks crime data feature
People: James Tyack / Kathryn Killebrew / Casey Cesari / Jim Smiley / Rob Kandel
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.