Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
With the heat of summer comes the classic sounds of the ice cream truck.
While the idea of mobile food was around before the advent of the ice cream truck, it wasn’t until 1920 that Youngstown’s Harry Burt Sr. conceived of putting a chocolate-coated ice cream bar on a stick, calling it the Good Humor bar.
It may be everywhere today, but back then the idea of ice cream on a stick was so novel the process alone required two patents.
Now, melting treats on a stick are ubiquitous with summertime memories.
A sweet lesson — don’t freeze up when your ideas are out of the box, they might just be ahead of their time.
After four years of covering Philly tech, Technical.ly’s Paige Gross shares the lessons she learned along the way.
Meet the 16 entrepreneurs selected as the inaugural class of Greater Washington and 1863 Ventures’ new business accelerator.
After Meta abruptly shut down its popular events feature last month, here’s how independent creators have stepped in to create a solution.
The Tempest growth marketing team’s efforts involve a blend of SEO strategies and content creation. Check out this article to learn how they support destination marketing orgs, tourism agencies and visitor bureaus.
How are tech companies engaging with their local communities? Find out what CubeSmart, Fastmail, Fearless, Pinnacle 21 and PNC do to support and tap into their respective scenes.
In Pittsburgh, the argument over e-scooters continues, with reports that scooter-share company Spin is offering $100 credits to users who write letters of support to city officials.
- Full-stack digital services firm Fearless is seeking a:
- Software and ESG strategy company Actual is hiring a Platform Engineer: Front-End Systems.
- Financial services startup Ellevest is searching for a Senior Software Engineer.
- Foster care software solution Bitni is looking for a Senior UX Designer.
Philly + Delaware
- Leader in international health and security risk management International SOS is hiring a Principal Software Engineer.
- Vanguard is seeking a Mid-Level Engineer.
- Want to make dental care accessible to all? Kleer is searching for an Account Executive.
- Economic nonprofit B Lab is on the lookout for a Lead Engineer.
DC + Baltimore
- Write on! Technically Media (that’s us!) is hiring an Editorial Intern.
- The DC Public Library is looking for an Information Technology Specialist (Software Development).
- Nonprofit consumer advocate Consumer Reports is searching for a Software Engineer.
- Global biotech company Orgenesis is on the lookout for a Global Head of Quality.
- Does a career in finance make cents? PNC Financial Services is looking for a:
- Global entrepreneurship platform OneValley Pittsburgh is hiring an Innovation Center Coordinator.
- Robotic harvesting and plant analytics startup Four Growers is growing and needs a Director of Hardware.
- The National Robotics Engineering Center at Carnegie Mellon University is seeking a Front End Developer.
Beat the heat with a sweet treat (or sweet new innovation). See you again soon!
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.