Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
Unfortunately, Allegheny County can be at least partially lumped in with areas that have seen spikes in COVID-19 cases recently. Health officials have traced much of the local outbreaks to bars and young people who traveled to out-of-state vacation spots.
Of note, though, is that the continuing protests over racial justice have not contributed to the rise in cases. So keep hitting the streets — it seems you have more to fear from bottle service than civil service.
To those still maintaining social distancing and taking proper precautions: thank you. I know it’s difficult not going out, crowding into a sticky booth, yelling conversation over loud music, and waiting 18 minutes for shredded cheese for your fajitas. If it helps, I can teach you how to make a watered down whiskey sour at home.
Plus, taking up home mixology as a hobby will give you another way to fill time while waiting for replies to all your job applications. Read on for another round on the house, and raise a glass to new opportunities!
Did you know video calling is 50 years old, and that the first call came from Pittsburgh? Shortly after we hit your inbox, Mayor Bill Peduto and Alcoa CEO Michael G. Morris will celebrate the anniversary by videoconferencing not with Zoom but with the all-but-forgotten Picturephone, a technology developed at Carnegie Mellon University that entered the world 50 years ago today. You can livestream the event, no Picturephone needed.
DataBank announced it’s opening a second, 40,000-square-foot center in Pittsburgh to support all the AI, AV and other data-heavy goings-on in the area. The new data center will be overseen by a 15-person team of contract workers.
The Local Jobs
- Whoa! Slow down and take the time to check out this Software Engineer: Motion Control position at RE2.
- Contribute to that high German engineering standard as a Software Verification and Validation Manager at Siemens.
- The Zoom jobs keep on rolling out, including this Senior Software Billing Engineer.
- Apple is looking to nab a Engineering Program Manager to work on its Siri products.
- An opening apropos of our country’s social moment, please check out this Diversity and Inclusion Data Analyst position at FHLBank.
- Maven Machines has jobs on jobs right now, including a Product Designer, who will come up with solutions to the world of freight.
- Your services will surely be needed and appreciated in these difficult economic times as Salesforce Administrator/Junior Developer at the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.
- Oh, captain, my captain! Winchester Thurston School is looking for a Technology Support Professional to enrich and inspire the education of our next generation.
- Staffing firm JH Technical Services is looking to place a Software Application Consultant at a nearby software company.
- OpenArc is looking for an Implementation Project Manager to lead both internal and client projects.
- Staffing firm eNGINE is looking to track down an Automation Quality Assurance Lead for a Pittsburgh-based client.
- IT-consulting firm Risk Focus is on the hunt for a Senior Java Developer for its Pittsburgh team.
The Remote Jobs
- Help change the philanthropy game at Tiltify as a Senior Elixir Developer.
- Skylight is helping solve digital design challenges for the government, and it needs a new Software Engineer to do it.
- Food-ordering platform Olo is calling in to the kitchen for a Software Engineer.
That’s it for this week. Wear a friggin’ mask, please. Next week TWIJ will be back with a whole new set of jobs, as always.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.