Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
December note: For the past several weeks, we’ve been trialing a single consolidated national TWIJ rather than our separate geographically focused versions. We’ve heard from both jobseekers and hiring companies over the last year that they’re increasingly interested in opportunities beyond their immediate region, and we hope you enjoy this updated format. If you have immediate thoughts or questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There’s that old joke about holiday fruitcakes — that there’s only ever been a single fruitcake produced, but people just regift the same one to someone new year after year. Like the Twinkie or the cockroach, these things seem like they just last forever … or do they?
According to research conducted at NC State, depending on what ingredients you use, these much-maligned holiday treats are shelf-stable for a surprising amount of time. That’s because some variations use preserved fruits and a considerable amount of rum or other alcohol that drastically reduces growth like mold or yeast.
It may not age like a fine wine, but if you’re eyeing the three-year-old cake in the freezer, it might be edible. Or you could just check out this week’s job listings — we promise they’re fresh.
Any good job candidate knows the question portion of a job interview is a make-or-break scenario. Here’s how you can craft a question to stand out in your interview.
At Arlington, Virginia-based newsroom Axios, the culture is prioritizing technology and reporting with intention.
University of Maryland School of Medicine spinout Isoprene Pharmaceuticals finds support and growth right in its own backyard thanks to UMB’s New Ventures program.
- Blue Bell, PA-based Pinnacle 21 is bringing life-saving medicine to patients faster with a streamlined drug approval process. The team is seeking a User Experience (UX) Engineer to help design system enterprise products.
- Think Company in Philly designs elegant solutions to client digital product lines, and needs a Mid-Level Visual Designer, Mobile to bring the solutions to life.
- The Tactile Group (HQ’d in Center City Philadelphia) is committed to application development and professional services that make a difference in the lives of others. The growing team is seeking a Digital Project Manager and Web Developer.
- Merge your love of the web with wearables. URBN is hiring a Web Developer to work specifically within the company’s BHLDN site.
- Inspire wants to make it easier for consumers to access clean energy and is seeking an Administrative Assistant to work with the executive team.
- Innovate the investing industry at Vanguard. The company is looking for a Senior Full Stack Engineer and a Technical Lead – Application Engineering.
- Read all about it! Arlington-based publication Axios is hiring for a variety of roles, including:
- Appian builds enterprise software solutions from scratch and is seeking a Business Development Representative to assist in client growth.
- Mapbox is changing the way we use maps to understand data and trends. Join the team innovating this classic invention as a Senior Product Manager.
- Ready to make some (Bit)coin? Stronghold Digital Mining is searching for a Data Center Manager to help run the company’s mining infrastructure and data centers.
- Bring together your passion for software engineering and social impact at Carnegie Mellon University’s Center for Data Science and Public Policy. The department is hiring a Senior Software Engineer.
- RE2 Robotics’ leading-edge robotics offer solutions in everything from defense RD to product development. That’s why the team is searching for a Business Development Manager to maintain and develop new connections.
We wouldn’t blame you for regifting that fruitcake. That wraps it up for us, but we’ll see you again next week.