Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Forget the trophy office: The new flex for the super-rich is now, apparently, “trophy trees.”
So-called “tree brokers” have apparently built lucrative businesses helping the wealthy find — and nurture — that perfect baobab or kapok. Broker Walter Acree, in South Florida, reportedly quoted one potential customer $250,000 to relocate a tree.
Maybe Fern Gully should’ve looked into a SPAC.
A year of pandemic, protests, elections and insurrection has meant work and society-shaking events have run headlong into each other. Stephanie Baggage, senior manager for people development at the digital services agency Fearless in Baltimore, shared three ways to build a company culture that’s responsive to social justice, core values and supporting employees amid societal upheaval.
Missing homework may sound like a blessing, but it’s a source of education gaps. The mobile connectivity and software firm Kajeet, based in McLean, is now finding growth by helping people connect to internet access where it’s needed most — namely, by partnering with schools, nonprofits and public libraries to ensure kids can access the learning resources they need to thrive.
- CareFirst is hiring an Applications Security Engineer, particularly applicants with studies or work-experience in IT.
- Level up with The Brand Guild, which is seeking a Creative Services Manager.
- Great Minds, which develops instructional materials for pre-K to grade 12, is looking for a Software Engineer.
- The Washington Post is hiring a Back-End Software Engineer.
- See if you’re the right match for Q2: The lab-services firm in Columbia is seeking Software Development Analyst applicants for future openings.
- This one comes with a $5,000 signing bonus: Jacobs in Hanover is looking for a Senior Cloud Software Developer.
- Apparently the fish are tweeting: The National Aquarium in Baltimore is hiring a Social Media Specialist.
- Beacon Street Services in Baltimore is seeking a Software Engineer for its cloud services platform.
- Oracle in Arlington is looking for a Software Developer — Communications to design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools and networks.
- This could be your lucky opportunity: Slot-machine developer Castle Hill Gaming in Charlottesville is hiring a Junior Software Engineer.
- Bechtel Corporation in Reston is seeking a Graphic Designer to help add punch to PowerPoint decks.
- Close, “building the sales communication platform of the future,” is hiring a Remote Senior Front-End Engineer.
- If Elrond needed a programmer: Elfen Software is seeking a Remote SQL Server Developer.
- The automotive aftermarket parts firm CARDONE Industries is looking for an Ecommerce Web Designer.
That’s it for this week. Good luck out there on the job hunt!