Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
“Living in my own little world / Underground ’til I found you girl”
Local entomologist Samuel Ramsey, also known as “Dr. Sammy,” has a new single. The scientist, who grew up in D.C., recorded and posted “Big Red Eyes” to demystify — and share his appreciation — for the Brood X cicadas that emerged this year.
“I feel like I’m a bug ambassador,” Ramsey told The Washington Post. “At the end of the day, the way I think of it is bug PR. These insects have not had good public relations at all.”
Talk about good buzz — onto the jobs!
At Technical.ly, we’re dedicating extra reporting this month on the results (or lack thereof) of corporate DEI pledges, funding commitments and public conversations about racial equity. One term we’ve been hearing regularly: “allyship.” What does that look like in the workplace? This Friday, Technical.ly and sister site Generocity will be hosting a live conversation to answer those questions with two DEI experts on the Technical.ly Slack. Join here.
Verizon has rolled out its 5G Ultra Wideband in parts of Baltimore. The high-speed service is available in Inner Harbor, downtown, Power Plant Live! Camden Yards, M&T Bank Stadium, Towson University and Cockeysville, and other areas. Learn what this means for local businesses and tech talent.
Josh Buchea, a senior front-end engineer at Axios, talks about why combating “information overload” brought him to the news site, and sheds light on the Axios workplace culture. Plus, Axios is hiring! Details about the company and open roles here.
- Ordway, whose platform “eliminates back-office inefficiencies, identifies revenue trends, and simplifies finance and operations,” is hiring a Cloud Architect.
- FiscalNote is seeking a Software Engineer, Fireside, which apparently “provides software-based communications solutions to members of Congress.”
- Arcadia is looking for a Senior Graphic Designer.
- The retail software startup Optoro is hiring a Product Manager.
- cloudtamer.io in Fulton is seeking a Senior Software Engineer.
- The City of Baltimore is looking for a Director, Technology & Innovation.
- Under Armour in Baltimore is hiring a Lead, Software Engineer — FinOps. As in finance, not sharks.
- ID.me in McLean is hiring an IT Administrator.
- The University of Virginia’s School of Architecture in Charlottesville is seeking a Computer Engineer.
- Interos is looking for an Enterprise Data Specialist.
- Oncora is hiring a Software Engineer (Full Stack).
- Nira is seeking a Remote Software Engineer Distributed Systems Big Data 100 (you catch all that?).
Don’t bug out — we’ll have more fresh roles for you next week.
Good luck out there on the job hunt!