Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Aside from #stonks and the spread of the pandemic, there was plenty underwhelming about 2020. But perhaps none more so than Elon Musk’s “people-mover” in Las Vegas — a tunnel that’s apparently “Vegas, baby!” because of … colored lights?
At one car at a time, it makes the Holland Tunnel look like Berghain. Which is why we’re not too torn up about the supposed D.C.-Baltimore “hyperloop” suddenly going poof from the website of Musk’s Boring Company.
Here’s hoping your commute, once it does resume post-COVID, is more reliable (and earth friendly!).
Keep an eye out for this new face on the beat in D.C.: Michaela Althouse is joining Technical.ly as a reporter to lead coverage of technology careers, growing businesses and the changing economy in the DMV. If the name sounds familiar, she was an editorial fellow at Washingtonian and wrote this long read on tech’s rising interest in labor unions for Technical.ly in 2020. Be sure to send her your tips — email@example.com.
Say you’re at Baltimore City Hall and need emergency mental health treatment. CHARMCare can point you to three facilities within walking distance. Need transportation? CHARMCare can help with that, too. The Baltimore City Health Department partnered with SmartLogic to help residents find free- and low-cost resources. Pretty neat.
We’re expanding! Your friends at Technical.ly just acquired StartNow PGH, a move aimed at bolstering our reporting efforts in Pittsburgh. Now it’s simply a matter of using “yinz” correctly in a sentence.
They’re bringing life to Frederick: VaLogic is transforming a vacant 75,400-square-foot building into a manufacturing hub for life sciences firms. It’ll be outfitted with lab space, cleanrooms, testing areas, wet labs and air controls.
- Morning Consult is hiring a Product Manager.
- Stardog — not Star Fox’s domesticated cousin — is seeking a Digital Marketing Manager. Flexible location, including presumably the Lylat System.
- GiveCampus is looking for a Product Designer.
- Mapbox is hiring an iOS Engineer.
- cloudtamer.io in Fulton is hiring a Director of Engineering.
- 14 West in Baltimore is seeking a Security Engineer.
- Homesnap in Bethesda — take it from us, a hot real estate market for that Homesnap team — is looking for an Android Developer.
- SmartLogic in Baltimore is seeking an Engineering Manager.
- GoTab, “creating the next generation dining experience with app-less mobile ordering, payments, and social recommendations for the hospitality industry,” is hiring a Junior Software Developer (Remote). If it means no longer forgetting our credit card at the bar, count us in.
- The Washington Football Team (yes, that one) is hiring a Football Solutions Developer. After going 7-9 last season, they need all the help they can get.
- Axios in Arlington is going all-in on Infrastructure Week. They’re hiring an Infrastructure Engineer.
- Itemize is seeking a Remote Senior Python Developer.
- The Cultural Intelligence Center is looking for a Remote Senior Web Application Developer.
- Linode is hiring a Front-End Developer.
After a year-plus of hardly interacting with anyone in person, we’re somehow barely two months away from a potentially in-person, post-vaccine summer. How to avoid embarrassing your friends and loved ones? New York Magazine’s got the rundown of what’s “cool” in 2021.
Good luck out there on the job hunt, and cheers to summer Fridays!
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.