Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
In many ways, moving walkways are a miracle. In airports and other large buildings, they’re a respite, a way for aging, young and disabled people to get around faster.
But if you think walking on these “magic carpets” is getting you to your gate faster, think again.
Studies from the Center of Aviation Studies at Ohio State University show that sans a moving walkway, travelers will typically keep a brisk 3 mph speed walking through the airport. When they step on the moving walkway, they actually slow down their speed, averaging about 2.2 mph. So if you’re dashing to catch a flight, you’ll likely get there faster on foot without the moving sidewalk.
With all that time saved, you can take a leisurely stroll through this week’s jobs.
Tomorrow (Wednesday Nov. 15), check out the free GIS Day event at Temple University to learn about its Geographic Information Systems program and what it could do for your career.
Last month, Chariot Solutions hosted a webinar to delve into the nuances of cloud billing, empowering technology, finance and operational leaders to make informed decisions in the cloud era. Watch the full video here.
A $2 million grant from the Economic Development Administration brings new opportunities for Pittsburgh’s LifeX life science startup hub.
The PPA finally made a map of Philadelphia’s residential parking zones. (To non-locals: Yes, this is a big deal.)
Learn which Philly-area startups scored $725,000 in investments during the “Shark Tank”-stye Lion’s Den event.
This week’s How I Got Here column traces the rapid rise of serial entrepreneur Lenzie James and his Delaware-based company, SIVAD.
Philly + Delaware
- Data-focused healthcare insights startup HealthVerity is hiring a Vice President, Commercial Accounts and a Senior Director, Tech Solutions Sales.
- CubeSmart is seeking a Program Manager, Store Systems and a Manager, Data Engineering.
- Work with Wawa! The company is conveniently searching for a Technical Manager of Analytics and Business Intelligence Platforms and a Senior Software Engineer.
- Audio agency Rowhome Productions is now accepting applications to its Fellowship Program for folks looking to launch their audio storytelling and podcast production careers.
- If you’re passionate about supporting startups, Conscious Venture Lab is on the hunt for a Managing Director for its accelerator program in Trenton, NJ.
DC + Baltimore
- Join the diverse team of 250 (and growing) at the impact-focused digital services integrator Fearless. The company is hiring a Program Manager I and Site Reliability Engineer II (DevSecOps).
- Nonprofit workforce development organization Year Up is looking for an Associate Director, Research and Pipeline Development and Senior Director, National Accounts.
- Payroll and HR company Paylocity is on the lookout for a Growth Market Account Executive.
- Cloud data security company Immuta wants a Software Engineer.
- Baltimore Development Corporation seeks an Executive Director of the Emerging Technology Centers (ETC).
- The Bloomberg Center for Government Excellence at Johns Hopkins University needs a Community Manager to oversee and nurture the digital community using its new platform, City AI Connect.
- Shoot for the stars with Astrobotic. The team is hiring a Sr. Technical Writer/ Proposal Strategist.
- Supplier software platform Coupa is looking for a Lead Software Engineer.
- Duquesne Light is seeking a Workforce Software Developer.
- Skincare startup Curology is on the lookout for a Help Desk Engineer, PSS.
- The American Red Cross is looking for a Salesforce Technical Lead.
- DonorsChoose helps teachers in need, and is hiring a Director, Data Science & Analytics.
- Early education platform Brightwheel is seeking a Senior Data Engineer and Senior iOs Engineer.
- Coaching platform BetterUp is on the lookout for a Senior Product Manager.
Step it up! Meet you back here next time.
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.