Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Good Luck Finding This on Zillow
If you thought BoCoCa, ProCo, and Rambo were dumb — and, we assure you, quite real — neighborhood names, try listing a property in Cuckold’s Delight. The (apparently saucy?) subdivision sits near the Brookland and Woodridge neighborhoods in Northeast D.C.
The origin of the name is unclear; as reported by the 730DC newsletter, the local-history site Ghosts of D.C. stumbled across it on a map of the area from 1903.
We suggest sticking with a plain old street address on your resume.
It’s time to recognize the people making a difference. But this isn’t just any other awards season. The 2020 Technical.ly Awards are honoring not only challenges overcome, but the people striving to make our local tech and entrepreneurship communities truly antiracist, and those fighting the COVID-19 pandemic and the racially and economically unjust status quo. If that sounds like people you know, nominate them — or their products — for one of our six categories. Nominations are due by Monday, Sept. 7.
September marks the start of Civic Tech Month here at Technical.ly. Our reporters will be diving deep into topics like open data, civic hackathons, 311 apps, smart cities, online voter registration and public-private collaboration. Have an idea for a story, or an impactful initiative we should look into, or a report we should read, or an expert we should talk to this month? Want to write a guest post on a relevant topic? Let us know.
Here’s some streaming content to check out during your next break: Technical.ly DC Diaries, hosted by Michelai Graham, features interviews with local founders, technologists and startup leaders, talking everything from how they got their starts in technology to what keeps them going. It’s another chance to get to know the people in your tech community who are doing the most impactful work. The first episode features Dawn Myers, who founded THE MOST, which designs tools and appliances for the styling of textured hair.
- Nava is hiring a DevOps Engineer.
- Enhance IT (“enhance!”) is seeking a Junior Software Programmer.
- The management consulting firm Guidehouse is looking for a Software Developer (Senior).
- Capital Technology Group is hiring a Software Developer. Bonus points if you have experience with AWS, Azure, or GCP, experience with Docker or other containerization technologies, or experience developing microservices.
- The Baltimore City Office of Information and Technology is hiring a Technical Writer. (Not to be confused with technically, a writer).
- Instant Teams, developing a platform for building and managing remote workforces, is seeking a Full Stack Developer.
- Ball Aerospace in Baltimore is looking for an Engineer Senior-Software.
- CreditXpert in Baltimore is hiring a Software Engineer. You’ll join a team developing complex, AI-based algorithms and forecasting applications for risk management and decision support.
- Tios Capital — we assume not Tio’s Capital — in Alexandria is hiring a Junior Software Engineer.
- If you’re passionate about how tech can enable design, SyApps in Herndon is seeking a Creative Design Technical Project Manager.
- CrowdStrike is looking for a Remote Software Engineer Cloud Security.
- Trellis is hiring a senior software engineer to take on the role of Remote Shopify App Developer, where you’ll lead one of Trellis’ Shopify development teams.
- GrammaTech is seeking a Remote Senior Software Quality Engineer for projects involving reverse engineering, binary rewriting and code analysis.
D.C. is also home to Butt’s Land, Girl’s Portion, Widow Mite and Pipetown. Life was just more interesting back then.
Good luck out there on the job hunt!
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.