(Gif via Giphy.com)
Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
No doubt, dear job seekers, you’ve seen company career pages with the catch-all listing. “Don’t see your role here?” they ask, “Apply and tell us what we need.”
How often, you might wonder, do people actually get a job that way? Tell them what they need? Sounds dicey.
But, consider Amanda Gorman. At 22, she’s the country’s first National Youth Poet Laureate, and her inauguration appearance has landed her a gig with a much bigger audience — the NFL.
Yes, Gorman’s reciting poetry before the kickoff of this year’s Super Bowl. It just goes to show, hiring managers and professional sports leagues don’t always know what they’re looking for, until you show them what they’re missing.
In a very timely episode of Off the Sidelines, Pam Kostka of All Raise and investor, entrepreneur, and diversity advocate Tracy Chou talk about how the standard investor profile is slowly changing.
It’s here! Learn how to build an authentic employee-first culture through insights from Technical.ly’s Culture Builder newsletter.
Gecko Robotics announced plans to move offices from East Liberty to Nova Place in the North Side, close to doubling its footprint (and looking for new hires to boot).
- Astra is hiring a Data Engineer and Cloud Engineer.
- Help increase the impact of volunteers at Civic Champs as a Front-end/Mobile Engineer.
- PNC is looking for a Software Developer Associate.
- Improve the lives of Allegheny County residents as a Human Capital Analyst at the Department of Human Services.
- Maven Machines is seeking an assortment of new hires, including Senior Data Engineer, Software Engineer, and Digital Marketing Specialist.
- Dive into the world of research and cybersecurity at Carnegie Mellon’s Software Engineering Institute as a Senior Risk Engineer.
- IQ Inc is searching for an experienced Software Engineer with expertise in Java.
- Data science and consumer research startup CivicScience is seeking a User Experience Designer.
- Titan Robotics is hiring a Robotics Engineer with experience in motion planning.
- Entertainment and education game development company Schell Games is looking for a Senior Engineering Team Lead.
- OpenArc is on the lookout for a Senior Data Analyst.
The Remote Jobs
- Restless Labs wants to hire a Technical Consultant.
- Dive deep on the numbers with Fulton Bank as a Senior Data Scientist & Visualization Engineer.
- Github is looking for a Senior Software Engineer.
So go ahead and pitch big. Fill out that catch-all application — you never know what might happen. We’ll catch you next week.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time.
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: End of an Era
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: On Thin Ice
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Working for the Weeknd
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Bernie Memes
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Pittsburgh