(Gif via Giphy.com)
Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
It’s 2021, and Anne Hathaway is making headlines for … her name? During an interview on “The Tonight Show,” the star revealed she hates being called “Anne” and would prefer to be called literally anything else.
The actress explained that when she got her SAG card, she put her birth name Anne instead of her preferred name Annie. And decades later, she’s setting the record straight, and admitting she hates when people call her Anne.
Just goes to show, whether it’s a new opportunity, or a new name, you won’t make things happen unless you ask for them. Don’t be afraid to speak up.
Heads up: Technical.ly is priming to launch Culture Builder, a new weekly email newsletter. It will in no way replace TWIJ, ‘cuz it focuses more on those doing the hiring, rather than those seeking to be hired (so you can put your protest signs down). Culture Builder is designed for hiring managers, HR leaders and startup CEOs, and will feature tips, advice and insight into how your org can be more effective, productive and happy. Stayed tuned for next week’s TWIJ when we share the signup link.
The Pittsburgh Penguins have partnered with local Braddock-based vertical farm Fifth Season as the team’s official provider of pre-game greens. Fifth Season produces its greens indoors with a human-free, robotic system.
Speaking of greens, Technical.ly sat down with PNC Bank’s director of technology to learn how financial service companies are using emerging tech to innovate the customer experience. Psst, if that sounds exciting, check out PNC’s job listings.
And in another sign of Pittsburgh’s strength in life sciences, BlueSphere Bio, a spinout of UPMC Enterprises, raised $45 million in a Series B investment round to continue its research into cancer immunotherapies.
- Bosch is hiring a Software Developer to work on the Internet of Things and Services team.
- Drive innovation in retail: American Eagle Outfitters is hiring a Senior Manager for the Engineering Point of Sales Systems.
- Mayvue is adding a mid or senior-level Software Engineer to its team.
- Expand the Women’s Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh’s reach as the nonprofit’s IT Manager.
- Near Earth Autonomy needs a DevOps Engineer to help bring its dream of autonomous vehicles to the sky.
- Bring your love of baseball to work: Diamond Kinetics is seeking a Sports Tech UI/UX Designer.
- BNY is searching for a Senior Specialist, Technology Product Manager.
- Help the City of Pittsburgh map its future. The Office of Innovation & Performance wants a GIS Analyst.
- Smith & Nephew, a global advanced medical technology business, is looking for a Head of Robotics System Engineering.
- Passionate about sports and data? Dick’s Sporting Goods is hiring a Senior Director of Data & Analytics.
- UPMC Enterprises portfolio company Realyze is seeking a Software Engineer to help transform the process of clinician notes.
The Remote Jobs
- Fulton Bank is scouting out a Senior Salesforce Solutions Developer.
- Help take the pain out of managing client relationships as Advicefront’s newest Senior Back end Developer.
- Cluby is searching for a React Software Developer.
- The End
Ask for something big, you might be surprised what happens. Or, at the very least, make sure people are calling you by your preferred name. Be brave, and we’ll catch you back here next time.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time.
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: End of an Era
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: On Thin Ice
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Working for the Weeknd
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Prime Time Poet
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Pittsburgh