(Gif via Giphy.com)
Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
As your Thanksgiving table begins carving the bird Thursday, someone will inevitably say it:
“You know, Ben Franklin wanted the National Bird to be the turkey,” pipes up Uncle Jim over Zoom, where he has tried and failed multiple times to turn on the camera.
This year, put those rumors to rest. When Benjamin Franklin, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were tasked with creating the new country’s seal in 1776, Franklin actually suggested that Moses parting the Red Sea be the featured imagery. Jefferson and Adams vetoed the idea, along with the entire Continental Congress, and the US adopted the seal with a bald eagle in 1782.
That’s not to say Franklin didn’t have a beef with the bald bird. In a letter to his daughter, the founding father went off on the eagle, calling it “lazy” and “of bad moral character.” He then went on to extol the turkey but came short of suggesting it be the country’s mascot.
Do with this factoid what you will, but we wouldn’t blame you for dropping an “um, actually,” at the Thanksgiving table.
In the past year, Duolingo’s user base has grown 30%. As a result, the Pittsburgh-based language learning company announced another round of funding — $35 million on a $2.4 billion valuation. With that growth comes (you guessed it!) a new round of hiring.
Lawrenceville’s I AM Robotics announced a partnership with Johnson & Johnson to improve warehouse efficiency through the help of robotics and software.
Follow the money! Technical.ly’s latest episode of “Off the Sidelines” podcast explores the flow of venture capital and how to make it more equitable.
The Local Jobs
- PNC is looking for a System Reliability & Support Lead.
- Help change the future of hiring as JazzHR’s newest Software Engineer.
- Blend your love of tech with helping others as Point Park University’s Media Production Support Specialist.
- Contribute your technology skills to a worthy cause as IT Manager for the Women’s Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh.
- Adrich is seeking a Data Scientist with expertise in machine learning.
- IT staffing firm ConsultUSA has a client with an immediate need for an Integration Software Engineer.
- eNGINE is on the lookout for a Junior Python Developer.
- Correctional technology and education company GTL is hiring a Data Engineer.
- Pyramid Consulting Group is looking for a System Administrator/Project Lead.
- Work with Microsoft as a Strategic Account Director in its manufacturing division.
- Philips is hiring a Digital Marketing Manager for its sleep and respiratory business.
- Help create advanced solutions for travel in space as a Design Engineer for Astrobotic.
The Remote Jobs
- Dover is looking for a Software Engineer.
- cloudtamer.io is seeking a Senior Solutions Delivery Manager.
It’s okay to (momentarily) be the smartest person in the room. Eat up, relax and we’ll see you next week for TWIJ.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week!
PNC’s director of technology on what it takes to uncover emerging tech in the financial sector
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Small Wins
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Zen Baby
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: ‘What I Did Over Quarantine’
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Pittsburgh