(Gif via giphy.com)
Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
While most of us can’t envision crossing state lines at the moment, this weekend marked the 131st anniversary of the start of Nellie Bly’s journey circumventing the globe.
By the time the Western PA native decided to undertake the voyage, she was already a powerhouse undercover journalist. It’s said she was inspired by Jules Verne’s adventure novel “Around the World in 80 Days.” However, she actually bested the fictional record by eight days — traveling the world by train, ship, rickshaw and horse in just 72. Better yet, when male journalists said she wouldn’t be able to make the journey with all the luggage she’d need to take along, she brought only a small handbag with necessities.
The Heinz History Center is tracking the journey in real time this year, detailing how one gutsy journalist beat the odds and made it 25,000 miles across the globe.
Here’s to setting goals, defying and besting them despite the odds.
Microelectronic company Dynamics, founded by Carnegie Mellon University alum Jeff Mullen, has developed and announced plans to sell an air purifier designed specifically to kill COVID-19. The Cheswick-based company is also hiring for multiple tech roles.
Bring your politics to your 9-to-5, or leave it for after hours? This recent edition of The TWIJ Show dives deep into addressing the elephant (or donkey) in the conference room.
Indiana University of PA took home the honor of “Top Pivot” in Pittsburgh Technology Council’s annual Tech 50 awards, among a host of other winners. And for the second place pivot — here are the jobs!
The Local Jobs
- Residency alert! LifeX Labs is searching for a part-time Executive in Residence.
- Adrich is looking for a Mobile App Developer.
- Drive the progress of autonomous vehicles. Aurora is hiring a Systems Engineer to assist in software integration.
- Blastpoint is hoping to find a Data Scientist to join the team.
- Global stone producer Carmeuse is looking for a Data Analyst for its Pittsburgh office.
- CapSen Robotics is seeking a Robot Field Application Engineer.
- Want to save lives with software? Treatspace is on the lookout for a Junior Front End Developer.
- Maven Machines is hiring everything from a Digital Marketing Specialist to a Senior Product Designer to help reshape the future of the trucking and transportation industry.
- Analysts rejoice! Allscripts wants a Senior Desktop Support Analyst.
- Highmark Health needs a Full Stack Developer.
- Combine your love of technology and food as Fiserv’s newest Senior Android Engineer.
- Sheetz is looking for a Software Developer to join its Technology & Innovation Hub.
- Help pave the way for autonomous vehicles with Argo AI as a Senior Software Engineer specializing in Lidar perception.
The Remote Jobs
- Help drive technology and human health forward as Biomage’s Full Stack Software Engineer.
- ECi Software Solutions is seeking a Senior Software Developer.
- Craving creative problem-solving in the cloud? cloudtamer.io is looking for a Senior Software Engineer.
Don’t be afraid to set lofty goals, you just might surpass them. See you next week for TWIJ.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: History Making
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Abra Cadabra!
How will COVID-19 change tech hiring in Pittsburgh?
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Sweating in sweaters
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Pittsburgh